The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Cigaring" Bumpers In Force Fetch. How To Fix ?

Default "Cigaring" Bumpers In Force Fetch. How To Fix ?

Am working through force fetch with a 10 month old female. She's got the concept down great, lunges for the bumper when I say fetch and is a very willing student but promptly works the bumper around to hold by the end. I don't dare have a rope tied to it or she'll hold the rope, only use a plain bumper so we don't have that issue too. We've been working daily for 3 weeks on proper mouth placement and she continues to do it. If I remove the bumper and put it back in properly she'll hold by the middle as long as I ask. Should I be concerned? Just continue gritting it out with her? Suggestions?
    Steve and Julie Moore
    Shade Tree Kennels
    La Center, WA

Who Says Labs Can't Point?

You can cut some pieces of PVC pipe and slide them a few inches over the ends of the bumper and that will keep her from grabbing it by the end.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

You can gently take the bumper from her and place it back in her mouth properly telling her to hold, if she starts mouthing it around to try and get it by the end again just a light tap on the bottom jaw with your hand and repeat the hold command. Also might look into making or buying a training buck ( mine is a piece of a coat rod out of a closet with a couple of pieces of 2 x 4 screwed to the end) teaches the dog to grab by the center rather than the end.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

I'm assuming that the bumper is being picked up off the floor and thats where you are running into the issue so disregard if I am incorrect. My pup did something similar. What I did wan while the "Fetch" Command was given I put hand over the end of the bumper so the pup couldn't grab it. Then lots of praise for holding the correct way. No praise and repeat for an incorrect hold. Good Luck! Hope this helps.

This is the time to work on such things because you're building the standards for your dog's mouth habits. Altered bumpers can be a help because that's part of habit formation; a dumbell-shaped object helps preclude holding poorly. But correcting it shows the dog what you want. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd72kl9lZlc

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

My son just put his dog through force-fetch about a month ago. She too cigared some of the bumpers and whenever she would he would just correct her grip and say "hold", followed by lots of praise. Have you tried the FF with birds yet? I've never seen a dog cigar a bird.

Lonnie Spann

I don't do any thing about it and it still goes away.
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    My son just put his dog through force-fetch about a month ago. She too cigared some of the bumpers and whenever she would he would just correct her grip and say "hold", followed by lots of praise. Have you tried the FF with birds yet? I've never seen a dog cigar a bird.

Lonnie Spann

If that's okay with you, that's fine by me. But in my experience this behavior reflects an overall poor attitude about mouth habits, and is often accompanied by digressive acts like frequent drops, poor delivery, etc.

A suggestion made earlier about how to alter a bumper during FF is one I like, and can be used with paint rollers also. (Thanks Jim!)

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

― George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't do any thing about it and it still goes away.
    I'm with Pete, they'll figure it out - and without any "lowered standards" for delivery. Also lots (and lots) of folks don't force fetch on birds - they'll figure that out too

nor FF on other creatures that could be "cigared" either.

MG

Many will. Some won't, including this one.

Some are chronic about a loose mouth on game and other objects because the training wasn't adequately done. Why not do the training? In my own training we're not done with FTP until we've forced on real birds, and cleaned up any issues like this. It takes very little time and effort. I suppose it's too much trouble if you don't enjoy training.

Each year I look back on some of the training questions I get by email and in other ways. There are always several about loose mouths, poor delivery, and cigaring. It's just FF unfinished. My advice is consistenly to finish the job.

Evan
    Last edited by Evan; 02-19-2013 at 10:47 AM.

― George Bernard Shaw