The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Victor dog food

Been feeding the hi-pro for a year now with great results. No loose stools and great coats and energy.

kind of amazed at the loose poop comments. we actually cut a poop out. instead of 3 poops a day with corn filled eukanuba we went to 2 poops with the victor and less filler.

the cheap comment is misleading. they are cheap because its a family operation in mt pleasant tx with every ingredient they need within hour and a half travel. alot of times these small brands are just made in big factories that also make other brands. (diamond and 4health i think are like that) this is not the case with victor.

which bag would you feed a pup? they all say for puppies too

teal hi pro plus (30/20) for puppies/high energy/nursing females

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    kind of amazed at the loose poop comments. we actually cut a poop out. instead of 3 poops a day with corn filled eukanuba we went to 2 poops with the victor and less filler.

the cheap comment is misleading. they are cheap because its a family operation in mt pleasant tx with every ingredient they need within hour and a half travel. alot of times these small brands are just made in big factories that also make other brands. (diamond and 4health i think are like that) this is not the case with victor.
    Another reason is foods like Victor, PMI Exlusive etc....do very little advertising compared to the big boys. Therefore they don't have much ad expense to recoup in the price they charge.

How are the dogs tweeth doing on Victor do they use anything for dental? I'm on a pro plan with Euk and the price has gone way up since I first started feeding do they have a pro plan with Victor.
    HRCH DB's Classic Little Mustang, Shelby
    HRCH Rangers Keeper Shooten Staight, QAA Briley
    DB's Classic Old Mopar, Charger
    Black Shadow's Bump-N-Rub-N-&-Run-N, Bristol
    Black Shadow's Itch-N-To Go, Chigger

Quote Originally Posted by MSDOGS1976 View Post
    Another reason is foods like Victor, PMI Exlusive etc....do very little advertising compared to the big boys. Therefore they don't have much ad expense to recoup in the price they charge.
    Takes much less per feeding than some of the others I've tried over the years, that have corn meal or disguised corn as the leading ingredients. I personally hope they stay a family run business and don't sell out..
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

teeth are doing good i cant really say much in comparison with eukanuba as teeth look like teeth to me and him being so young they are still pearly white. no gingivitis but that could be the case with any brand

you can become a dealer like my dad did buy a ton at a time and sell it for whatever you want. now that i know the wholesale price the markup at the feed stores are usually only $4-5.

the regular all life stage food is like 26 at the feed store and wholesale its like 22. the hi pro plus is like 27.50 wholesale and 32 at the feed store

i will say the only downside of the food and its not even that big a deal...is that the kibble on the hi pro plus is small. fast eaters will need to be slowed down for a couple days to get the hang of it. the other kibbles i've tried on victor are about average.

Senior Member RailRoadRetrievers's Avatar

I was singing the praises of Victor a few years back. I switched to Black Gold because of availability, not getting the same results as I was. Gonna look for victor again soon.

I switched to Victor about 2 and half years ago. It is the best food on the market for the money. My dogs coats look great, thier stools are more firm and less frequent than on other foods, such as Pro Plan, Euk, etc. My dogs also shed less on Victor. They also make a grain free version of Victor now, it is quite a bit more expensive than the original version but I dont mind paying the extra, it's still cheaper than Blue Buffalo or Loyall. It's made in Texas and is corn, soy, wheat and grain free. Pro Plan sucks in my opinion, my dogs have never done well on it.