The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: This was my guy for POTUS...too bad he was shot down by the establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Sarge,
    When I speak of "progressives" I am not speking of Democrats or liberals.
    HHH, JFK, Anne Wright are Demicrats.
    Mondale, Muskie are liberals.

I am speaking of Harvard progressives who beleive in something I vehemently detest.

Something to do with 1 world!

JMO
    Again Marv's question was "In your mind, what is a GOP moderate?" What is a "progressive" in your definition? Please elaborate on "1 world".
    Sarge

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Again Marv's question was "In your mind, what is a GOP moderate?" What is a "progressive" in your definition? Please elaborate on "1 world".
    Give me a couple, I will post something.
    I am not given to "Yardleyesque" type manuscripts here.

Brevity
    Clariy
    Relevance

Let me think of a way to describe it that fits those.

For starters, I beleive wisdom lies in the word of the Lord.
    Progressives beleive wisdom lies in the halls of Harvard!

Progressivism is a general political philosophy advocating or favoring gradual social, political, and economic reform.[1] Modern Progressivism emerged as part of a more general response to the vast social changes brought by industrialization.

It is left of center in the political spectrum and is to be contrasted with conservatism on the right and the revolutionary left, the former generally resisting changes it advocates and the latter rejecting its gradualism.

I do beleive that today, it is to the left of left of center.

And I think the movement is towards the "New World Order" & "Social Democracy."
    I don't beleive in either.

I beleive in American exceptionalism!!!!!!!
    Last edited by road kill; 02-22-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Right of "center" or Left of "center" all depends on where you stand when you are looking.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Right of "center" or Left of "center" all depends on where you stand when you are looking.
    For myself I like the center. I just point out the errors in Republican thinking and they think it's liberal. Real liberals don't post here.
    Sarge

Thanks, Marv. The Republicans past and present I would consider moderate would be: Dick Lugar, Colin Powell, Bill Milliken (former governor of Michigan), Ev Dirkson, former congressman Jim Ramsted, Chuck Hagel, former congressman Phil Ruppe, Jon Huntsman, Gerald Ford, Mitt Romney (despite saying he was an extreme conservative), Olympia Snow, to mention a few.

Maybes:John McCain (but he dances around a bit), Gov. Rick Snyder, Chris Cristie, Ben Nighthorse Campbell.
    Anyone who will compromise from a common sense position is not moderate, IMO.

Those folks had a good gig as long as no one was paying attention, had it worked for their candidacy they would just as easily have run as lefty's.

In SD I am considered a moderate: In WA I am a RWer . It's not hard to be to the right of most folks in this state, but you should know that though you have a different starting point.

I strongly agree in personal responsibility.

I believe in the 10 commandments though I haven't been inside a church for worship in ?? years. I pretty much agree with SD's abortion law after they overturned the zealotry.

I think 8 for 8 is a good motto. No one should enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor unless those folks decide they want to share, but the earner's should determine how much.

That's pretty much it - not real hard to take that test .

McCain, Dole (who you left out), McGovern (though he is the litmus test for liberal nuts) were all certified war heroes - McCain being different because his line has been on the public teat for generations. Each of these individuals have received a lot of love from the voters but as time has gone by that has gotten old - none should make any HOF for their legislative endeavors, along with the folks you mention.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

For myself I like the center. I just point out the errors in Republican thinking and they think it's liberal. Real liberals don't post here.
    Maybe I should have said it depends on where you "think" you are standing
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Anyone who will compromise from a common sense position is not moderate, IMO.

Those folks had a good gig as long as no one was paying attention, had it worked for their candidacy they would just as easily have run as lefty's.

In SD I am considered a moderate: In WA I am a RWer . It's not hard to be to the right of most folks in this state, but you should know that though you have a different starting point.

I strongly agree in personal responsibility.

I believe in the 10 commandments though I haven't been inside a church for worship in ?? years. I pretty much agree with SD's abortion law after they overturned the zealotry.

I think 8 for 8 is a good motto. No one should enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor unless those folks decide they want to share, but the earner's should determine how much.

That's pretty much it - not real hard to take that test .

McCain, Dole (who you left out), McGovern (though he is the litmus test for liberal nuts) were all certified war heroes - McCain being different because his line has been on the public teat for generations. Each of these individuals have received a lot of love from the voters but as time has gone by that has gotten old - none should make any HOF for their legislative endeavors, along with the folks you mention.
    I'll go with Dole.

I'm personally don't like abortion. Neither do I like the shrillness on either side of the argument.

I am for background checks on firearm purchases from gun shows but not for the banning and confiscation of firearms.

I am for personal responsibility and that was a good part of my job when I was a social worker. It was largely aimed at getting people to be responsible for raising their children and to take responsibility for the quality of their own lives. I believe marriage is a serious long term commitment. I've been married to the same woman 45 years.

I despise the take over of our government by the monied interests. A 73,000 page tax code is proof the people are not in control.

I dislike filling out reams of paperwork for every little public action that you and I decide to take.

I believe taking up arms against my country is a treasonous act as defined in the Constitution.

I think that is pretty darn conservative, if you ask me.
    Sarge

Marv--I sent you a PM.
    Sarge

I'll go with Dole.

I'm personally don't like abortion. Neither do I like the shrillness on either side of the argument.

I am for background checks on firearm purchases from gun shows but not for the banning and confiscation of firearms.

I am for personal responsibility and that was a good part of my job when I was a social worker. It was largely aimed at getting people to be responsible for raising their children and to take responsibility for the quality of their own lives. I believe marriage is a serious long term commitment. I've been married to the same woman 45 years.

I despise the take over of our government by the monied interests. A 73,000 page tax code is proof the people are not in control.

I dislike filling out reams of paperwork for every little public action that you and I decide to take.

I believe taking up arms against my country is a treasonous act as defined in the Constitution.

I think that is pretty darn conservative, if you ask me.
    I think you just made Marvin's point.
    Take abortion. Nothing is Constitution governing it(I think Franco would agree). The arguement of the "right to privacy", is the most illogical arguement I can imagine. Originially ruled, a child could get an abortion WITHOUT parental knowledge or consent. Yet I could not even so much perform and exam or clean their teeth without parnetal consent. Furthermore try to write a child a percription for anything but birth control pills. As far as the schrillness on the subject, the Constitution does guarantee the right to free speach.

As far as social workers helping someone take responsibility, I have no idea how anyone can make someone take responsibility. Only by there being consequences for action can there be any incentive to take responsibility. Last communiction with a social worker went like this. "Well can you give her JUST ONE MORE CHANCE? My response was HELL WILL FREEZE OVER BEFORE SHE GETS IN THIS CLINIC AGAIN!.

You say you despise the takeover of the gov. by monied interests. I despise the takeover of our gov. by ANY SPECIAL INTEREST, be they black, white, union, I think you get my message. I despise those who would single out any minority be they black, white or the top 1% as if they should not enjoy the same rights and freedoms as any other. You cite the 76,000 pages of the tax code as if it only benefits a certain special interest. On the contrary, it only goes to show that the concept of an income tax is a TOTAL FAILURE and is by its very nature unworkable.

You say that you are for background checks at gun shows. I may be wrong but I have heard that they are already required. If they are in fact not then WHAT GOOD DO YOU THINK THEY WOULD DO? Do you really have any facts to show that such action would reduce illgal use of guns. Just another law that does nothing but push paperwork. Being a conservative, I WANT FEWER LAWS, NOT MORE. I want to repeal laws not make more.

Simply put government is not in, nor has ever been, nor will it ever be in the charity business. IT IS IN THE BUSINESS OF RULES, REGULATIONS, TAXES, DEPENDENCE AND CONTROL!! Reagan was so right when he said that if someone showed up and said the were from the Gov. and there to help you, then you should bend over because you were about to get it!

These are what I call conservative views.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Give me a couple, I will post something.
    I am not given to "Yardleyesque" type manuscripts here.

Brevity
    Clariy
    Relevance

Let me think of a way to describe it that fits those.

For starters, I beleive wisdom lies in the word of the Lord.
    Progressives beleive wisdom lies in the halls of Harvard!

I do beleive that today, it is to the left of left of center.

And I think the movement is towards the "New World Order" & "Social Democracy."
    I don't beleive in either.

I beleive in American exceptionalism!!!!!!!
    Almost agree with you. BUT I can't nor will I ever agree with "wisdom lies in the word of the Lord" because in my mind all that stuff was written by man for control of the population. I don't need someone telling me about my God and how I should do this or that. Are there some good ideas in the Bible? Sure. Wisdom, eh not sure about that and I don't want our government and our politicians run this way. To each his though, but I fear that the religious right won't respect that if they ever get their chance at control.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD