The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st (piece of the collection) launcher or "winger"

Default 1st (piece of the collection) launcher or "winger"

I about got the Mrs. talked into another toy. If you could only buy 1 at a time which would you pick for the 1st one ? and why?

If it helps ,I trying to get to the AM level with my current dog and have a pup on the way.

Not asking about brands ,that decision is already made,just looking to get the most out of my 1st one until the collection grows. Transport isn't a problem either as I train on private ground 99%of the time so I use a quad.
    Last edited by shawninthesticks; 02-20-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Zinger Winger field trialer, set up with a servo. Because it could be controlled with the Bumper Boy electronics I already had. (That said I had BBs first.)

When we use it, it's the flyer station. As you go in to run you reload it.
    Last edited by John Lash; 02-20-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Faced with a similar situation, I recently bought 2 Bumper Boy 2 shooters. My reasoning was the ability to help a young dog with another bumper if needed (I train alone primarily). I also like the ability to set them together and use them for multiple shot drill/diversion type work, which I feel will probably be my primary use for them.

I run a lot of stand alone marks, and use ducks for that most of the time.

With AA aspirations, launchers may not be ideal, as they are hard to see at a distance, BUT winger thrown birds are tough too. Hard to beat a hand tossed mallard from a training buddy!
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

first thing I bought was a winger I now have 4 and a 4 shooter bumper boy - for training when there is plenty of light and time I like to use the wingers with ducks more realistic to tests.

When I get off of work late I am happy I have the bumper boy as it is a quick 2 minute set up and then running marks.

Depends on your needs
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    If you could only buy 1 at a time which would you pick for the 1st one ? and why/

Winger hands down because they can throw birds and I dont hunt bumpers and they dont use bumpers in trials either

With my young dog I recruited a local kid as a bird boy to help on marks as needed. The first launcher I chose was my GU SOG becouse I could launch birds. I now have three SOG's and looking to buy a fourth. Not a big fan of BB and havent been around the thunder launchers to comment on.

I say bumper boy first. I have both(bb's and Zinger's) and use both regularly. The bb's set up faster for different looks and you get multi-shots(like was said, great for helping in route or trouble). You can always scent the area with a real bird in the landing zones or even place one.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

My first was a Bumper Boy launcher. I used birdboys on weekends for ducks for a while.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Winger. Dogs want birds. Make friends and then you have bird boys. Ive got two wingers but honestly haven't used them in a year or do due to having training partners. If I train alone I set up my sport stand and throw the marks myself. I just can't make myself go back to them.

down the road you will use a tosser that can throw anything, duck, bumper, friends sandwich, much more often than you with use a bumper fireing launcher. But the launcher is like the vise grips in your glove box. you can do a lot, in a pinch.
    we all end up with some sort of one or two and drift away from them, it seems. I say, for a first buy a tosser that will toss anything, shoot a primer, and have a remote so you fire it from the line is a wise use of the cash.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin