The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st (piece of the collection) launcher or "winger"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    down the road you will use a tosser that can throw anything, duck, bumper, friends sandwich, much more often than you with use a bumper fireing launcher. But the launcher is like the vise grips in your glove box. you can do a lot, in a pinch.
    we all end up with some sort of one or two and drift away from them, it seems. I say, for a first buy a tosser that will toss anything, shoot a primer, and have a remote so you fire it from the line is a wise use of the cash.
    Ken, I was s u r e you was gonna say rope!
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE

I used to use Bumper Boy's exclusively, but I've switch to Gunner's Up, using the BB electronics. Much rather throw birds!

I like to use Bumper Boys or something like that to teach the very young dogs until they really understand what it is all about. That way you can throw something one right after another just to help the pups drive the distance. Once they get the ideal I think there is nothing like throwing real birds. 4 or 5 wingers will do just about all you need. You can set up triples or quads and have 2 wingers at the station you feel will be the most difficult. If Rover needs a little help you’ve got it ready to throw. If they are having a little difficulty coming up with the bird I use the sound on the release to help bring Rover back or keep him in the fall area. With wingers you can just about guarantee the fall location each time the bird is thrown. Since bird placement is everything when teaching that is a big help. I have used them to train my FC, AFC and MH’s when there is no one or only person is training with me. I have used Gunners Up wingers for more than ten years with Dogtra remote releases (1 thru 6). From what I have seen Dogtra releases seem to react better at distances that TriTronics and I love TriTronics. I can’t speak about the newer Dogtra or TriTronics units as mine are as old as my wingers but are still working great and they’ve launched a lot of birds. I had Dogtra provide me with 2 each #6’s unit so I could use them for retired guns. Gunners Up has a manual reload retired gun that works very well. Hope this helps.
    Ken

Hope you had a great training day!

Thanks for the replies ,like most have stated you cant throw a real duck with a launcher,but you cant have another shot ready to help with a winger.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    down the road you will use a tosser that can throw anything, duck, bumper, friends sandwich, much more often than you with use a bumper fireing launcher. But the launcher is like the vise grips in your glove box. you can do a lot, in a pinch.
    we all end up with some sort of one or two and drift away from them, it seems. I say, for a first buy a tosser that will toss anything, shoot a primer, and have a remote so you fire it from the line is a wise use of the cash.

I agree with Ken.

Lonnie Spann

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    Thanks for the replies ,like most have stated you cant throw a real duck with a launcher,but you cant have another shot ready to help with a winger.
    That's why I own 4 wingers - I put two at the station I feel is going to be the one that the dog will need help, if need be I can fire a second mark. Normally I only need one at the short station.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    That's why I own 4 wingers - I put two at the station I feel is going to be the one that the dog will need help, if need be I can fire a second mark. Normally I only need one at the short station.
    That is the total package...but I'd guess your around $2500+ with remotes. I'm still doing dishes and laundry trying to pay for my new pup.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    That is the total package...but I'd guess your around $2500+ with remotes. I'm still doing dishes and laundry trying to pay for my new pup.
    I hear ya...took me a while to get my collection...so my short answer to you would be consider a winger!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I started with 2 wingers and tt remote. Set me back $900, 10 years ago. I got tons of work with those and still use them today. I then added 2 max 5000's which I loved for diversions, walk up drills and stretching little pups out. I then started adding wingers. At one time I had 6 wingers a bumper boy 4 shooter and 3 1/2 max 5000's. at that point I foun I only used the wingers so I sold most of the other stuff. I'm down to my original 2 wingers plus one newer winger and a zinger uplander box, and I'm happy with what I've got.

Build your own launchers with parts off dog training sites, buy electronics and use your own innovation and have a great time training your dogs. Mine are set up so I can retire and un-retire behind blinds so can cover most any setup imaginable. Even have redesigned electronics to shoot poppers on long marks. Just have to do a lot of walking to reset launchers. HAVE FUN.