The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: USA vs World

It was actually a US/CAN team

http://martindeeley.com/americanretrieverteam.html

Correction: Canada has their own team.
    Last edited by Thomas D; 02-22-2013 at 03:00 PM.
    Tom Dorroh

The Canadians probably helped them .
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

that is a pretty neat write up have they done it since?
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

I just forget what little country it was that won

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

that is a pretty neat write up have they done it since?
    Unfortunately not; the event continues but without N American participation. At the time there was a good discussion in RTF but I can't find it now. It was a long time ago and the forum has had several make-overs since then, so it's probably in the dust bin of history. Jeff Boston (Chatson Gundogs) saw it all and reported back to RTF, and also posted a bit in another forum HERE

I should stress that it wasn't a Field Trial, but what we call a Working Test; no shot birds at all, just dummy work.

Frankly I don't think a Ryder Cup type of contest based on Field Trials will fly, the logistics and differences in procedures are too great. A format something like a US Hunt Test or UK Working Test similar to Sherborne Castle would be all right, but would need massive sponsorship to make the travelling costs worth while.

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 02-21-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Col Blimp is spot on. We were fortunate enough to watch the 2004 event and spend time w/ team USA. FTs or HTs in Europe are a different game from what we do in the USA. Not better or worse, just different. So a "Ryder Cup" style competion would be unworkable. Rather it would be my rules v your rules depending on the venue.
    Having said that our few days at the event are etched in memory as some very special "dog days." If the sponsorships could be found to cover the high costs for the competing teams it would be fun to have an event rotating across "the pond" but some baseline rules that are compatible across venues would have to be agreed upon.

Senior Member Sharon van der Lee's Avatar

The retriever game is too different in each country to make it equitable. Ryder cup is the same game.

Maybe an SRS style event with series from each country. Then scored. It sure would be fun to watch.
    'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' - Bear Bryant / Alabama

Okay I've got it take the working test from over there and the 4 x 4 team medley from over here and combine them to make a couple day event, that way it would be be dummy work from both sides of the pond, and the rules are already made the sponsorships are already in place with the SRS but I am not sure about over there but I am sure that there are large companies that sponsor dog events over there that would be willing to participate.

Talk about an event, people from Europe would have to get their dogs to our type of competition and North American dogs would have to be able to there competitions. It would be a pretty even playing field I think and no one could argue about rules.

Just a thought
    Last edited by JustinS; 02-21-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

I definitely want to see this conversation continue into something actually happening. Another question is, how do you get this to lead to something actually credited? Will kennel clubs get together to agree on a prefix for the winner? The UK has "Int. FTCH"... I wonder what would work for giving credit to the dogs who placed/won?
    -Barton Ramsey