The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: USA vs World

Quote Originally Posted by kennel maiden View Post

I think the main stumbling block for any of the UK folk to come over to USA and compete is the small matter of rabies! I think we would be able to get our dogs out of this country and come over, but bringing them home with us would be a whole new matter! Our quarantine rules are fairly strict, and I think it is still 6 months quarantine coming in from a rabies country? I guess we could leave the dogs behind and sell them to the highest bidder?!!!!.........

The rules have changed drastically regarding travelling with dogs to and from the UK & EU in the last few years. No more 6 months quarantine sort of stuff as I read it.
    Pet Passport

How to instructions for leaving and returning with your dogs
    "Pet Travel Scheme".
    http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/
    Info from the Crown on taking your dog overseas & returning.
    https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview
    Last edited by Breck; 02-22-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I may be wrong but SRS titles dont show on AKC pedigrees either I am not sure I have never looked at UKC pedigree to know if they do or not.
    AKC does not recognize SRS, nor UKC. Also, non AKC titles are not supposed to be printed in the premium.
    Last edited by Thomas D; 02-22-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    Tom Dorroh

Thanks Breck, I knew the rules had changed regarding EU, and the rabies blood test time had been shortened, but I hadn't realised that this could be applied to non-EU as well. If this is the case, then that's quite interesting. Although I guess still the cost of transporting the dogs across the Atlantic would be considerable for a 'mere working test'! LOL

Certainly opens things up a little though perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by kennel maiden View Post
    Thanks Breck, I knew the rules had changed regarding EU, and the rabies blood test time had been shortened, but I hadn't realised that this could be applied to non-EU as well. If this is the case, then that's quite interesting. Although I guess still the cost of transporting the dogs across the Atlantic would be considerable for a 'mere working test'! LOL

Certainly opens things up a little though perhaps...
    The UK/US combined venue whatever it might be won't happen anytime soon.
    If you want to have fun with your dogs in the US, just register dog with AKC, find a "friend" with a NetJets account, do some dog work, beg a spot on his jet, fly on over and run 2 or 3 field trials.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

It's when Organisations or officialdom get involved that things get all complicated?..
    When really The Dog's just wanna 'Run'.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Blimp View Post
    GD,

Great pics!. Does Ms Cleveland play in a band? She appears to be wearing a trumpet round her neck.

[Eug
    Cute. But, since you liked those pics here are few more. Sorry, but I don't have any of the all blonde Swedish team, or of the morning scrum of the Irish and Welsh teams after their night of "competing pints." (The boys were all laid out in various angles of repose while their labs were asleep on top of them.) Or of "old" Eli clearing the fences ("hurdles" I think you call them.) I did note that several of the EU handlers seemed to have severe colds or allergies as many of them kept a white handkerchef in their right hand. Those hankies came in handy when running their blinds and were waved about trying to get their dogs' attention.
    I also recall talking with the gentleman who was responsible for setting the courses and tests.(I'm sorry I don't recall his name.) He confided in me - after we'd each downed a few single malts - that they had set up some tests they thought would be "particulary challenging for the Yanks." They were, but the US team showed well, placing 4th I believe. It was kind of like a top ranked football team playing a ranked rugby league. Object is the same - pick up the birds - but the game is very different. Lost of fun to watch, but a huge effort to get the team and dogs over and back. AKC and Purina were large sponsors but the handlers all had significant out of pocket expenses.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The coverage report was a very good read. Question what is "hunting in thick bracken" ? With all the pheasant hunting I do in the west I find it hard to believe that we do not have something as thick and unassailable very akin to a "Bracken" in the U.S. ? I know we have nettle-weed, lovely stuff covers most of the fields in SoCal. Seems like an SRS team would be better suited for this type of test, combo of do it all dogs. It's great that the FT dogs went over and did well, might've proved something. Still it'd be nice to have the other types of American HT retrievers represented, and it'd probably be pretty nice to have a GRHRCH type dog as a reserve player in a couple of series of those tests.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-22-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    It's great that the FT dogs went over and did well, might've proved something. Still it'd be nice to have the other types of American HT retrievers represented, and it'd probably be pretty nice to have a GRHRCH type dog as a reserve player in a couple of series of those tests.
    At least one of the dogs was a HT dog, Jack. He was a Master National Hall of Fame dog if I remember right. Also the dogs and handlers were picked that were calm and able to handle what they were going up against. So these weren't necessarily the firebreathing creepers, Brad with Maggie and Connie with Eli were the ones I remembered besides Jack.

Tom Dorroh

Bracken, pretty common the world over I thought. Marginally toxic and very invasive. it can grow to three / four feet high and is a real barrier to dogs; very easy to lose a sense of direction, and from their level obscures a lot of skyline. In wintertime it dies back and makes good cover for wild pheasants. In common with others I've hunted a runner for hundred of yards through this stuff.

Stinging nettles. Like bracken they die back in winter, but when fully ripe in summertime, a lot of dogs would rather go round them than through. Particularly common round dwellings and farms where the soil is rich in phosphorous from wood fire ashes. In damp woodlands they can be as tall as a man.

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 02-22-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.