The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pup will chase but not bring back

If you are in the house...Let him go one time and see where he heads to....Next time be at that spot to receive the pup...
    Like Darrin said ...make the pup want to come to you...As some say a high value treat waiting for them is a good enticer...for a trade...
    Lots of petting and verbal praise doesn't hurt either ...We have to lie once in awhile....Steve S

"My question is…When do I start to do something about this and what do I do? " .....
    As the dog ages , a rope can be used to help the dog find it's way home...Obed work should help clear it up a lot...The main issue is develop that desire to chase and pick something up ...Be patient ..It will all fall in place later...enjoy this time as much as possible ...The problems will come soon enough....
    Last edited by steve schreiner; 02-21-2013 at 11:53 PM.
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

I really like it when my pups run after any thing thrown. I want to build the "I gotta have it" attitude in my young pups. You are building prey drive first in my opinion. After they are nuts about GOING then start working on them returning. Running away, clapping hands, and getting down on my knees praising pup when they return and having an extra bumper swinging are a few things I use on getting them to come back. Don't be fast taking bumper from pup. Let them hold the bumper and tell them GOOD DAWGGGGGGG . This has worked for me for a long time.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Ok ,so It's a pup! , but shaping behaviours are paramount if the end picture that the handler/trainer is to be achieved(imo)..The ''Autistic Child'' (Pup) ! -Because it is very good at being a pup- doesn't know how to do it right!,but also doesn't know how to do it wrong!
    Here is a 'wee pup', just met for the first time with a trainer.
    So it depends ,like others have said ,how long you want this to develop or change?..It all depends on the individual pup of course ,but someone that can read that individual helps!?
    Has Nobody in the US heard/done/Practised 'TTOUCH'?
    Anyhow, I imagine from the OP's remarks the situation would be similar to the first clip? (correct me if I am wrong?)
    Breaking it down, for the 'Autistic child' whilst shaping the behaviours you are looking for later on, can be done in a matter of minutes not weeks ,especially and more importantly (imo) when they are a pup!
    If this has been of some help to the OP ? then good!,if not?..then I have read the Original Post wrong!(I apologise) It is in no way a suggestion that you should do this with ''All and every dog'' .BTW, The second clip is the ''Training''.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgbJkB4NWXc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVZxzYBvmnM
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever