The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interceptor not avail - use Heartguard or what?

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    I went to order Interceptor today and tried two websites I usually use for dog meds. Both websites said per the manufacturer, Interceptor is unavailable for 3 to 4 months. No explanation given.

I need to order heart worm meds. now. What do you use? Heartguard Plus or something else?

Helen
    I thought they said that 6 months ago.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Quote Originally Posted by KNorman View Post
    Feed store or Tractor Supply. IverMax 1% solution administered orally at .10 cc per 10 lbs of body weight. I put it in a pill pocket and they gulp it down.

Do not get IverMax Plus!
    Been using Ivermic solution for years now on 4th dog and never had a problem. 50.00 bottle will last several years for 1 dog. I do not put in pill but measure with needle/seringe, take needle off and squirt in month. Goffy dogs thinks its a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by KNorman View Post
    Feed store or Tractor Supply. IverMax 1% solution administered orally at .10 cc per 10 lbs of body weight. I put it in a pill pocket and they gulp it down.

Do not get IverMax Plus!
    This is exactly the dosage and method we use including the pill pockets.
    Deb & John Lenon
    www.mamaslabs.com
    Wildwood, MO
    "In God & Labs We Trust"

My understanding is that Novartis is back shipping (and has been for a short time) as I was able to get product at my vet here in Canada about a month ago.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

I had to switch over to heartguard.

The amount of Ivermectin in Heartgard is minuscule so they can mass market it to all dogs including ivermectin resistant collies. Any ivermectin even the oral doses of injectable ivermectin which many people give stays in the dog's bloodstream no longer than 48 hours. That is two days out of a month your dog has protection. The other 28 days they can be infected with heartworm larvae.

Moxidectin is the newest drug which will also kills ivermectin resistant heartworm larvae. We have to use it in the Mississippi River area due to ivermectin resistant heart worms. It also stays in the dog's bloodstream the whole month, not just two days.

Advantage Multi and the Proheart 6 shot (which by the way is the most affordable) both use moxidectin. I wrote several articles on FindRetrievers concerning this issue.
    Last edited by TBell; 02-22-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Iverhart max

Quote Originally Posted by TBell View Post
    The amount of Ivermectin in Heartgard is minuscule so they can mass market it to all dogs including ivermectin resistant collies. Any ivermectin even the oral doses of injectable ivermectin which many people give stays in the dog's bloodstream no longer than 48 hours. That is two days out of a month your dog has protection. The other 28 days they can be infected with heartworm larvae.

Moxidectin is the newest drug which will also kills ivermectin resistant heartworm larvae. We have to use it in the Mississippi River area due to ivermectin resistant heart worms. It also stays in the dog's bloodstream the whole month, not just two days.

Advantage Multi and the Proheart 6 shot (which by the way is the most affordable) both use moxidectin. I wrote several articles on FindRetrievers concerning this issue.
    Tammy, can you or anyone else supply the reference material you used to make this statement...? Not trying to sharpshoot you but this is the first I have heard of ivermectin only staying in the blood stream 48 hrs...? I am currently researching a cheaper alternative to self administer to my dogs and was considering going with ivermectin. I dont suppose that this new drug you mention is available for general populous purchase such as the ivermectin is now....?
    Tim Fitzgerald
    Anacoco, La

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Fitzgerald View Post
    Tammy, can you or anyone else supply the reference material you used to make this statement...? Not trying to sharpshoot you but this is the first I have heard of ivermectin only staying in the blood stream 48 hrs...? I am currently researching a cheaper alternative to self administer to my dogs and was considering going with ivermectin. I dont suppose that this new drug you mention is available for general populous purchase such as the ivermectin is now....?
    Tim, I'm not a Pharmacy major so I can't fully answer your questions.

Here is a link to a study done on Beagles but the Ivermectin was injected subcutaneously which will make it stay in the dog's system longer. I believe it was completely gone in 11 days, but again that is SC.

http://www.ualberta.ca/~csps/JPPS10_...3/MS_1233.html

When dosing any meds orally vs SC, the injectable will last longer. The Proheart 6 shot is around $60 for six months of protection. To me that is very affordable, my vet handles it, and I don't worry about my dogs getting heartworms now.

Please don't just believe anything you read or hear though. Do your own research. Just Google 'heartworm resistance' and you will have plenty to read. Also, read up on getting rid of heartworms with doxycycline. Stay advised and keep your dogs healthy!

Is there a problem with Iverhart Max? I don't know a lot about worming meds and basically follow what my vet recommends and Iverhart Max is what he prescribed for my dog. Thanks