The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Rowdy (by Pirate) Pattern Blinds with diversions

Default Rowdy (by Pirate) Pattern Blinds with diversions

Well, this is how today went. I have learned a lot since doing this with Hank. The goal is not to run a mark then a blind but to use the duck as suction to create opportunities to handle in the field for the first time. So, I didn't spend as much time with Rowdy on pattern blinds as I did with Hank. I am reasonably satisfied with how things went. I made some mistakes, like I was a little late on my first whistle and spent a little too much time fiddling with Rowdy at the line when I first sent Rowdy on the blind after the mark.
    The position of the camera gives the impression that I am lining up Rowdy too much to the right but it is just an illusion.

But here is the sequence we went through this morning:

Middle leg of pattern blind with no diversions.
    http://s868.beta.photobucket.com/use...d50e7.mp4.html

Pattern blind with stickman. Stickman is appx 20 yds off the line to blind.
    http://s868.beta.photobucket.com/use...ad8e3.mp4.html

Pattern blind with duck as diversion. The duck is appx 20 yds off the line to the blind. I used attrition only. Look at the great response to the whistle.
    http://s868.beta.photobucket.com/use...76c8d.mp4.html

Pattern blind with duck again. With just the attrition on the above Rowdy didn't want to go over by the old fall of the duck. Look at the great angle back.
    http://s868.beta.photobucket.com/use...2c7b2.mp4.html
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 02-19-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Video #3 - I really liked his stop to the whistle. My girl is the same age as Rowdy, but CC to "here" must've been too good, because I have a hard time stopping her for a whistle sit when she is charging to me.

Video #4 - this is more of a personal curiosity, I have no critique for Rowdy or yourself. I notice you sent him in between the trees on the duck. How far apart are they? I assume it was intended, as I have run a few of my pattern blinds through similar scenarios. On Rowdy's return is it okay he goes outside the tree? Silly question, but for someone with 0 hunt test or field trial experience, it would be nice to know as I plan to start HRC events late spring-fall.

How far is the pattern blind? Looks like its a ways out there and Rowdy nails it, I like it
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)

Going in between the trees was not intentional. It is just the way the duck landed. Coming back was not an issue. The pattern blind was 150 yds.
    Wayne Nutt

For you two sided handlers. Would the set up in this video be a good time to heel the dog on the right side when lining up for the blind?

[QUOTE=Illini Coot Killr;1071371]For you two sided handlers. Would the set up in this video be a good time to heel the dog on the right side when lining up for the blind?[/
    Good question and nice videos as always Wayne.Looks like he is rolling along.
    FC AFC Slider/Junie

If this was a real test, I would probably have run him on the blind from my right side. But this was not the purpose of the drill.
    Wayne Nutt

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Coot Killr View Post
    For you two sided handlers. Would the set up in this video be a good time to heel the dog on the right side when lining up for the blind?
    To have an effective two sided dog you need to alternate sides IMO. Pattern blind once you have taught the 3 legs individually most people run through all 3 legs twice thru each day. I would run the dog from the left on one pass and from the right on the next. Might take a little longer to teach depending on the dog.

Wayne, Rowdy is looking good. As im running 2 of my dogs through pattern blinds right now im hoping the weather holds or even improves maybe to the level of what your running in. ie..... no more snow!
    Last edited by thelast2; 02-20-2013 at 10:34 AM.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

ie..... no more snow!
    Fat chance Jesse. This is the start of our snowiest part of the year.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Fat chance Jesse. This is the start of our snowiest part of the year.
    Yeah had some wishful thinking going for a minute, just as long as it isnt one of those give it all to us at once snowfalls. Drove into anchortown yesterday thinking you gonna have to keep driving out here to train, quite a difference in the snow depth.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE