The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1965 National

Default 1965 National

Had an old salt train with me last Sunday that told a couple stories about Cotton Pershall. Said he was deadly accurate with a sling shot and killed a pheasant at a Monroe Trial at 20 yds. Found the following story about Cotton and Smokey the 1965 NFC in SI Vault, hope you enjoy the read.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1078155/1/index.htm
    Just Win

never saw him use a slingshot but could that man "tickle a fanny with a bullwhip".Jim

At the end of the article it mentioned 4 dogs in the stationwagon but forgot to mention a helper also,that man was Tom Cox.

You sound "Historical" please enlighten us! FT history really turns a lot of our cranks!!!

Thanks
    Just Win

Was a 12 yo boy in in 71 dad was running the circuit went to Madison Wisc,then trained in between for the Manitiwok trial the following week.That is when I met Cotton.I was in awe as i got to throw the go bird on one of the tests.People nowadays don`t understand the methods back then and shudder at what went on but that is how it was done.The prod,rat shot pistol.buggy whip.and the shotgun all got laid out on the hood of the vehicles for easy access,dad was a tennis shoe trainer so this was all new to me.

We had a problem child breaker and Cotton told dad,I`ll fix em for ya,dad said no shot! Cotton said don`t worry I`m gonna tickle his fanny with a bullwhip.That he did and being close I was in awe!That whip cracked like a .22.Pretty sure dad placed that dog the following wknd.

In the process now of scanning old pics that mom has and will post up when done.

Miss the old days but not the methods.
    Don`t know if many around that can get results the old methods.I know how but sure don`t want to.Jim

Now Cotton was a character but does anyone remember Harvey Shue?Tommy Sorensons helper,he also was from Arkansas and that guy could keep you in stitches.

I have a real good book on Cotton. I would have liked to met him.

That was a great story if you have anymore I would love to read them.
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Now Cotton was a character but does anyone remember Harvey Shue?Tommy Sorensons helper,he also was from Arkansas and that guy could keep you in stitches.
    Oh yeah, I do. I got to throw birds for Tommy, Harvey and Joe Harp one or two weeks every summer.
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Roger Reopelle was another good one to hang out with as a 12-13 year old. LOL
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call