Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1965 National

Great read thanks for posting!

Ahhh Roger,the midnight dog trainer!!!!Thats all I`m saying. Jim

Damn good stories, lets hear some more!
    Just Win

Quote Originally Posted by leo455 View Post
    I have a real good book on Cotton. I would have liked to met him.
    That was a good story.

That was the name of the book on Cotton?

Wink roger reopelle

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Ahhh Roger,the midnight dog trainer!!!!Thats all I`m saying. Jim
    Yes, I remember Roger and his famous slingshot years ago when training at Reo Raj Kennels. He was deadly, a slingshot in one pocket and another pocket full of marbles. Great story teller, especially late at night at trials in his Airstream and plenty of libations!

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Now Cotton was a character but does anyone remember Harvey Shue?Tommy Sorensons helper,he also was from Arkansas and that guy could keep you in stitches.
    I remember Harvey! He came to Alaska a few times back in the early 90's with a string of qualifying dogs. He stayed the whole summer both years. Quite the character and a gentleman. Being from the south myself, I enjoyed having another southerner around.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    I remember Harvey! He came to Alaska a few times back in the early 90's with a string of qualifying dogs. He stayed the whole summer both years. Quite the character and a gentleman. Being from the south myself, I enjoyed having another southerner around.
    Ok Bill, share with us!
    Just Win

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Ok Bill, share with us!
    I wish I had some pictures of him... Correct me if I'm wrong, did I hear that Harvey has passed?

Anyway, he alway dressed very sharp... Pressed jeans with a crease down the middle. Harvey, for those that didn't know him was a small man. He alway seem to have a nice clean, ironed shirt on as well. And I recall his leather work gloves... Don't know why this made such an impression on me other than we didn't really have any pros in Alaska at the time and I was still fairly new to the game. I remember also that he drove a pickup and pulled a big dog trailer. I asked him why he used the trailer instead of having a dog truck. He told me there were times he liked to use his truck as a truck. We spent a fair bit of time talking about duck hunting... As I grew up in SC hunting flooded timber. And I think Harvey was from AL or MS (not sure) but he liked talking about hunting.

I had a real good qual level dog at that time( my first trial dog, later AFC GMHR) so we had a real friendly competition going the whole time he was up there. In two seasons and I think 10 trials I won one and placed in 8. Harvey won most of the rest with his various dogs that were on his truck! Back then, guys would still meet at a local watering hole for a drink or two after a trial... Winner buys at least the first round.

That died off a few years ago when drinking and driving became more of an issue to most of us. Also the game changed and most of the participants nowadays are so competitive, there is not near as much of the socializing after the trial. I'll bet canuckkiller, criquetpas, jd6400, Marvin, Dr Ed and others could really tell some tales if they were so inclined about some of the shenanigans of the 60's and 70's! Just from my start in the mid 80's I remember some pretty hilarious stuff that I can't repeat here because some of the offenders are still alive!

One of the funny ones though involved two inebriated guys crawling in the dark towards a buxom lass's room at a trialer's house we were staying at. Anyway, these two guys were crawling stealthily from different directions unbeknownst to the other in the dark... When at the door of the aforementioned "lady", they bumped head on into each other! One of them later married her. The other was a pro trainer. True story...
    Last edited by huntinman; 02-21-2013 at 10:27 PM.
    Bill Davis

Yes, Harvey passed away several years ago. Real character!

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    One of the funny ones though involved two inebriated guys crawling in the dark towards a buxom lass's room at a trialer's house we were staying at. Anyway, these two guys were crawling stealthily from different directions unbeknownst to the other in the dark... When at the door of the aforementioned "lady", they bumped head on into each other! One of them later married her. The other was a pro trainer. True story...
    HaHa that is too funny, we all have dog days someday's your the dog in the house someday's your the dog on the porch.

Lately I have found a place under the porch - its safe under here
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser