RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1965 National

6K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  huntinman 
#1 ·
#2 ·
never saw him use a slingshot but could that man "tickle a fanny with a bullwhip".Jim

#3 ·
At the end of the article it mentioned 4 dogs in the stationwagon but forgot to mention a helper also,that man was Tom Cox.

#5 ·
Was a 12 yo boy in in 71 dad was running the circuit went to Madison Wisc,then trained in between for the Manitiwok trial the following week.That is when I met Cotton.I was in awe as i got to throw the go bird on one of the tests.People nowadays don`t understand the methods back then and shudder at what went on but that is how it was done.The prod,rat shot pistol.buggy whip.and the shotgun all got laid out on the hood of the vehicles for easy access,dad was a tennis shoe trainer so this was all new to me.

We had a problem child breaker and Cotton told dad,I`ll fix em for ya,dad said no shot! Cotton said don`t worry I`m gonna tickle his fanny with a bullwhip.That he did and being close I was in awe!That whip cracked like a .22.Pretty sure dad placed that dog the following wknd.

In the process now of scanning old pics that mom has and will post up when done.

Miss the old days but not the methods.
Don`t know if many around that can get results the old methods.I know how but sure don`t want to.Jim

#6 ·
Now Cotton was a character but does anyone remember Harvey Shue?Tommy Sorensons helper,he also was from Arkansas and that guy could keep you in stitches.

#8 ·
That was a great story if you have anymore I would love to read them.

#12 ·
Ahhh Roger,the midnight dog trainer!!!!Thats all I`m saying. Jim

#22 ·
Correct in his later years he had a bait shop he retired too.

#21 ·
I judged at his ole hunting camp in Arkansas many years ago and had the pleasure of spending the evening with his grandson ( if memory serves me yet)and listen to him tell stories of him....Rob Leatherbery traveled with Tommy many years ago and he has some fine stories to tell of that bunch and those days gone by ....Steve S

#26 ·
I`ll bet!! Great to see Scott having some success!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.