RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Someone kindly educate me on HT judging points, seminar, test requirements.

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Oncini 
#1 ·
I am trying to help out the club in locating judges for our annual HT (lucky me). Anyway I have no idea what the point requirements are, seminar or written test. Yes I could look it up and try to figure it out, but I'm trying to pretend to work today....figured RTFer could summarize it for me faster than I could look it up and try to figure it out.

This is an AKC Hunt.

TIA,

Lainee

#2 ·
You go to a seminar.
You will have to apprentice at any stake you plan on judging.
You have to judge 2 junior before you can judge a senior. Judge 2 senior before you can judge a master.

So if you want to judge master you will have to apprentice in junior, senior, and master and judge 2 junior and then 2 senior.

I went to the class. But to many hoops to jump through so I decided not to judge. Thanks you for all the people that do give up their weekend to judge.

#11 ·
I went to the class. But to many hoops to jump through so I decided not to judge. Thanks you for all the people that do give up their weekend to judge.
Exactly what is wrong with the system too! The AKC claims that they are trying to recruit judges, but if a new judge is just starting out, it could take up to 4 years to be able to judge a Master. I like that they are trying to get quality judges, but this way is not feasible...

#3 ·
I like CO and have plenty of points......

#4 ·
I guess I should reword my question - I'm not even slightly interested in becoming a judge for AKC HT ;) but I am trying to make sure judges that are recommended are "qualified"

So for example I have the following info from the AKC judge's directory:

Junior - 3 Senior - 2 Master - 7 Seminar Date - 03/12/2005 Test Date - 03/30/2009

What is this judge allowed to judge? Is he current on his written test? Seminar?

#17 ·
needs to mail in their test.

#5 ·
Test test is every 3 yrs and the judge has to keep up with that so if the judge you are looking at took the test in 09 he needed it again in 2012. Once you are 6 pointed judge you do not need the seminar again so you cannot gage by that. Also just because a judge has judged a lot and is current on test, does not mean that they are any good but just judge alot. A real pain to find judges. Also starting this year the judge has to have run and pass a dog in the level he is judgeing in the past 7 years and the judges that have been out there have up to the end of this year to become current. AKC is not tracking that so it is kind of the honor system. If you ask around to handlers that you run up in the area your are looking for judges you should get a few good recomendations.
To answer your other question that judges you are showing above can judge anything and after he takes his test he has up to the end of the year to pass a dog if needed.
This new rule is great in some cases but will make it harder to find judges. You have some very good judges that no longer run dogs for various good reasons but will be pulled out of the judging pool.
Hope this helps

#6 ·
Karen - Thanks. I hear you about judges who judge a lot ;) hence why I asked for recommendations from those who run HT, etc. (see post in the Judge's forum)....I only run HTs once in a blue moon, but we need judge's for my club and it seems not to be moving forward, so thought I'd try and help locate a couple....

Lainee

#7 ·
Lainee - it's really confusing. You can't really decide what they can judge from just looking at that info. The judging pair TOGETHER must have 6 points combined. In addition, at least one of the judges must have passed a dog at that level 4x for JH or SH and 5X for MH. A judge must judge at least once every 4 years to stay current. There's also a new rule about having handled a dog within a certain number of years, but I can't remember right now what that number is.

#10 ·
...There's also a new rule about having handled a dog within a certain number of years, but I can't remember right now what that number is.
The new rule is that must have qualified a dog at the level or higher within the past seven years.

I thought there was some language about the seven year clock starting now, with the new rule, not looking back seven years.

The eligibility (test, seminar, etc.) is checked by the AKC. If you submit the judges panel online, they'll vet it and approve the panel (or let you know what the problem is).

The part about, has the judge qual'ed a dog at that level in the past seven years (new requirement) or have they gotten five Master passes or four Jr or Sr passes (old requirement), they say it's the club's responsibility to check.

#8 ·
Okay - the directory says he judges in Sept 2012, so he's judged recently. Can't find the person on EE, so can't confirm handling of a dog. Dear lord what a PITA!

#13 ·
#16 · (Edited)
If his test date was 3/30/09, he will have to retake the test before 3/30/13 from what I understand from talking to the Performance Dept at AKC. Test must be retaken every 4 years, along with all of the other requirements.

#20 ·
i could be wrong but thought the test was every 3 yrs. You have to contact AKC and ask for them to send you a test. Not all test are the same either. They mix up the questions on some. It is 100 questions and way too much on misconduct issues. Whats that got to do with teaching a judge anything.

#21 ·
#22 ·
Lainee,
Gvie me a call and I can give you a list of most of the local judges for HT. I will also see if can get an out of state judge to come in that is close.

Let me know,

#23 ·
Lainee, I can give the names of some judges that are qualified and close. I won't be at the training day tomorrow, if you email me I will give you the names.
Bill B. hasmy email address. Thanks

Jerry Forster

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.