The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Writing Journal for your dogs when training.

Default Writing Journal for your dogs when training.

Do any of you write in journal after training dogs? Like about what they did that day in training? If so what do you guys include in them? Do you find it helpful going back and looking at them. Expecially when your training more than 1 dog? Thanks Chas
    HRCH Lavender's Gettin A Tan SH "Tanner"
    Lavender's Red Solo Cup " Solo "

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderLabs View Post
    Do any of you write in journal after training dogs? Like about what they did that day in training? If so what do you guys include in them? Do you find it helpful going back and looking at them. Expecially when your training more than 1 dog? Thanks Chas
    Chas,
    My journal is in my mind.....I don't need anything else except pictures to remind me of them.....

I am keeping one with my new pup(all 19 weeks of him). Basically just keeping track of what things we cover in each session and generally my observations about his attitude/performance. I hope that it comes in handy at some point, even if just to keep me on track and help me remember where we are in his training program. Curious to see what other folks may keep track of...

Many years ago (20 or so) I did. Never went back to them for reference, but I did happen across them a couple years ago and it was really cool to remember the dogs I had at the time. No use to me as far as training goes but priceless for the memories they held.

I do keep a journal of hunt test I have judged and set ups I have used. I will, if I remember, go back and look at them when I am getting ready to judge. It helps me plan what I am going to do and reminds me of what concepts worked well and those that had problems.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by BJGatley View Post
    Chas,
    My journal is in my mind.....I don't need anything else except pictures to remind me of them.....
    If I try to keep that stuff in my head LOL!! I do have a note book and a camera with me when I train. If we run into a problem or a new concept, I make a note of it. And I take a pic. I have a file on my computer that I save the pic to with the date I trained and some notes. There are all sorts of things you can do with Word to make you go back and review. I really only jot down info that I want to go back to and they are in my notebook I originally used. The pic helps me remember the blind I had a problem with etc.JMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I have a spiral notebook for Rowdy's training. I just started on book no. 2. I try to write down what he did good or bad. Since I moved to the big boy grounds, I draw a crude sketch with the distances/factors noted. I try to do this almost every day but forget some days. I also do lots of videos which show his progress.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    I have a spiral notebook for Rowdy's training. I just started on book no. 2. I try to write down what he did good or bad. Since I moved to the big boy grounds, I draw a crude sketch with the distances/factors noted. I try to do this almost every day but forget some days. I also do lots of videos which show his progress.
    Yes Wayne I really appreciate those videos!!!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Not all videos turn out so good. Today's was a train wreck. I had a wing clipped pigeon in a winger with Bumper Boys without the bumpers just for extra noise. I forgot and pulled bands on the winger. It threw the pigeon into the next county and into and behind some trees.

My normal technique is just hook the pouch and that is enough to get a good launch for a wing clipped pigeon.
    Another senior moment.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"