The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nilo kennels mr. Olin cotton tom cox

I really try to stay removed from these discussions as most are exposing opinions based on limited or fallacious opinions. The Flannery and other stories are tucked away and WE DID HAVE FUN. Regarding Jim: At the WNYRC fall trial Jim was running Charlie Cooney's Abe. Well Everet Mc Graw was an individual from California who had moved to Buffalo NY and was a politician and as so often true was of dubious integrity. Pete Jones had called the powers that were then(Dick Toma?) and pimped for Everet to be called to judge. Evert's co judge Mike Tyler was a hands on amateur trainer and a hell of a fine man. Well the Open was over and when the judges compared sheets McGraw had CORKY. Well there was no way Corky had beat Andy's Partner Pete or Abe. They went 5,and McGraw would not back off. At that point Mike signed the book and went home to Ohio. McGraw held a 6th, by himself, awarded Corky 1st , Pete, 2nd, Abe 3rd. Abe needed 2 points for that Novembers National. Well Jim(his indian blood and wrestling vigor) proceeded to say how he was going to go kick the shit out of McGraw. I told Jim that the 5" solid post I held would be over his head. Jim was a pro and to do so would have had his professional status jeopardized.I got Jim calmed down and 3 weeks later the AKC sent the revised placements ABE,Pete, Corky and ?. Ironically Abe won the Open the next weekend. Jim and Shirley were the people who were the foundation of our sport. Damn, but(except that Jim was at the time alcoholic ,which I am too, but I hadn't figured it out yet) we had fun and it was primarily because most of us then trained ourselves and were club members and worked a trials. Today we have very few club members, most attendees have pros train and therefore the foundation has feet of clay- Pros run the dogs get paid and the organizers of the event hire workers. This will be my last post, it was only out of respect for Jim that I came. I told Chris that the real purpose for my being onRTF is to get callbacks at 9pm after feeding and planning the next day. That will remain my 99% sole purpose.

HAAAAA, that brought back some names Lance,what a story and YES that was dad!!!Dick Toma,Mike Tyler (smoked a pipe).Dad could get contraversial to say the least,( remember the Mobile trial in 74 I believe? 85 dog open?) won`t say anymore.Geat to hear from you. Jim

Andys Partner Pete, Mrs B`s? Charlie was running?
    Last edited by jd6400; 02-24-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    HAAAAA, that brought back some names Lance,what a story and YES that was dad!!!Dick Toma,Mike Tyler (smoked a pipe).Dad could get contraversial to say the least,( remember the Mobile trial in 74 I believe? 85 dog open?) won`t say anymore.Geat to hear from you. Jim

Andys Partner Pete, Mrs B`s? Charlie was running?
    Yes NAFC Andy'sPartner Pete(1st lady to win a National Championship) Tom Brokaw's aunt.

Stick around Lanse; your posts are always informative & entertaining
    Marc Healey

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Stick around Lanse; your posts are always informative & entertaining
    Marc Healey
    Really thought you`d a showed up earlier Marc!!!!I know you have some....... Jim

I am fascinated by this history and these stories. Never get enough of hearing about the Legends in the Retriever world.
    All of You have my utmost respect and thank you for sharing.

Good stuff Lanse! Let's hear a little more. How about some of your early National experiences, compared to Nationals of today?
    Bill Davis

jd6400 so why are you running chessies? You could probably hook up with a puppy from some of the top litters in labs?

Lance and the others got any good chessie history?
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz View Post
    jd6400 so why are you running chessies? You could probably hook up with a puppy from some of the top litters in labs?

?
    This will be interesting

x
    Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz View Post

Lance and the others got any good chessie history?
    Mike,I enjoy a good challenge!!!!Heck anyone can get the work out of lab!!!Haaaa!Actually I fell in love with the breed as a kid we had one in out of Alex`s Chief.....My job was teaching hold....Thats all we taught back then.....That was a real eye opener,and to this day I think dad had me work this dog as a lesson......And a lesson it was,I learned more about dog psycology with that animal as any.

I`d mess up,we would get into a fight dad would step in.Same thing.Dad wouldn`t say a word but said watch.Same thing the next day.I LEARNED HOW TO GIVE DIFFERENT AMOUNTS OF FORCE TO DIFFERENT ANIMALS with that dog.And I guess I`ve always reembered that.

Dog was a gundog up on the St. Lawrence and he would send pics to dad at xmas time.Ice covered dog with divers and geese,man I admired that.

Now I`m goin not too far back but a guy in NC Ben Lee used to pull in with 10 chessies to train wth us.Nice animals and tuff too.Always admired a man with a good peake him and Alex were a couple.For the younger crowd I`m meaning when I say Alex I`m meaning Alex Spear,Chippewa Chief!!!
    Have to add,growing up I was not allowed to have a peake,HAAA!But when I moved out Icame back to visit mom and dad had one in the house,Haaaaa.A dog from the late Maggie Hoglund,now she breed some nice peakes in the day.Maggie just passed recently and were ood friends with mom and dad.
    Last edited by jd6400; 02-25-2013 at 04:43 PM.