The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nilo kennels mr. Olin cotton tom cox

Maggie's husband has one of her dogs on the Robert's truck running qual. Wish you could come to the Chessie field speicialty in NC at Copper Black end of October. You'll see the best of the best in chessies there.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Hunting season full swing in oct. here Mike, one of the joys of mngr.Good luck!!! Jim

Lanse, in some circles being a 1%er is regarded as the highest ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    x

Mike,I enjoy a good challenge!!!!Heck anyone can get the work out of lab!!!Haaaa!Actually I fell in love with the breed as a kid we had one in out of Alex`s Chief.....My job was teaching hold....Thats all we taught back then.....That was a real eye opener,and to this day I think dad had me work this dog as a lesson......And a lesson it was,I learned more about dog psycology with that animal as any.

I`d mess up,we would get into a fight dad would step in.Same thing.Dad wouldn`t say a word but said watch.Same thing the next day.I LEARNED HOW TO GIVE DIFFERENT AMOUNTS OF FORCE TO DIFFERENT ANIMALS with that dog.And I guess I`ve always reembered that.

Dog was a gundog up on the St. Lawrence and he would send pics to dad at xmas time.Ice covered dog with divers and geese,man I admired that.

Now I`m goin not too far back but a guy in NC Ben Lee used to pull in with 10 chessies to train wth us.Nice animals and tuff too.Always admired a man with a good peake him and Alex were a couple.For the younger crowd I`m meaning when I say Alex I`m meaning Alex Spear,Chippewa Chief!!!
    Have to add,growing up I was not allowed to have a peake,HAAA!But when I moved out Icame back to visit mom and dad had one in the house,Haaaaa.A dog from the late Maggie Hoglund,now she breed some nice peakes in the day.Maggie just passed recently and were ood friends with mom and dad.
    Now look at all the Chessies you guys have with more on the way.
    www.steenoutfitters.com
    Hunting the Chesapeake with Chesapeake's.
    Captain Thor of the Chesapeake **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Gracie girl **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Lulu Belle **, MH, WDQ
    Next project
    Captain Thor's Nina Bean Benelli

Ha! I`ll bet dads just shaken his head too!!!!!

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to posting on this forum but have lurked here for the last 3 yrs. I want to say, I really enjoy hearing about the early trials. I am not a trialer myself, I am a hunter with a lab. I won't tell my age but I am from the era where you trained a birddog with a quail wing tied to the end of a fishing pole. I hate it when I hear the guys like Lanse say it is their last post. I understand it but I wish it wasn't that way. It is almost like losing a Grandfather and their life experiences. I really love hearing the stories and reflecting on some of my own early memories of hunting behind good dogs. Please keep the memories and stories coming.

Sincerely,
    Jim Dooley

Quote Originally Posted by Can-Doo View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I am new to posting on this forum but have lurked here for the last 3 yrs. I want to say, I really enjoy hearing about the early trials. I am not a trialer myself, I am a hunter with a lab. I won't tell my age but I am from the era where you trained a birddog with a quail wing tied to the end of a fishing pole. I hate it when I hear the guys like Lanse say it is their last post. I understand it but I wish it wasn't that way. It is almost like losing a Grandfather and their life experiences. I really love hearing the stories and reflecting on some of my own early memories of hunting behind good dogs. Please keep the memories and stories coming.

Sincerely,
    Jim Dooley
    Stay tuned Jim!!!Getting my ducks in a row here so to speak.Have to get my daughter and scan some pics and an a page out of book of one of the only stories that dad wrote. Will be getting busy here in the nxt couple weeks so I have to hurry. Jim

Just tell Lance I entered a field trial a distance away just so I could say hello to a legend LANCE. He was judging a qual. He was taller than I expected and younger looking and very little gray. (Just kidding Lance). But it was an honor to talk to you briefly.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Jim,
    I will stay tuned because I ain't going nowhere--snowed in! Was hoping to sling some steel at the snows and blues the last couple of weeks but the weather here in Central MO hasn't cooperated with us. We just got another heaping of snow overnight and this morning.
    Keep the stories coming and I will keep enjoying them! I look forward to reading your Dad's article. I am relative new to the retriever world--was an upland man myself--- until the disappearance of my beloved quail in my state. With that said, recognize your last name from some of my readings. It's my pleasure to communicate with you!

I hope everyone else is enjoying this thread as much as I am! What a pleasure to hear these stories, "straight from the horses mouth", so to speak. I grew up just minutes from Nilo Farms, and never missed their Hunting & Fishing Days as a kid. On my next trip back home, I plan on stopping by and visiting the King Buck Memorial. It's been awhile since I've seen it, and I didn't understand the significance at the time.