The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: shopping the pile

Quote Originally Posted by kennel maiden View Post
    translated to trials here, swapping game is an eliminating fault, whereas just shaking without dropping would be ok. If the dog put the bird down to shake, that would also be an eliminating fault. So, you're quite right, neither are desirable!
    Are you comparing shopping a pile in a force drill to a switch? Apples and oranges at best.
    Bert Rodgers

It was my original post. i spent the last two mornings sending her at close(20') range to three groups of three bumpers. I was close enough to yell a loud no! when she dropped her initial selection, called her back to heel and sent her again with loud praises if she brought back her first touch. Did pretty good yesterday and not a miss today! I'll back off tomorrow to greater distance but so far i'm encouraged.

It appears that there are different definitions of "shopping". I think of it as a dog looking at one then another then another then finally picking one up. IMO once they pick one up, they should bring it promptly to hand. If they drop one and then get another, it is a switch. No switches ever allowed!!!!!!
    Before I begin pile work, mine are already collar fetched and if they pick one up, then drop it, it is correction time. I let them look around for the right one when they get to the pile, but once it is off the ground, it better be coming toward me.
    Pick your battles regards
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

Senior Member webfootkennel of IL's Avatar

Some shop without picking up others have one in mouth while looking for another, most times its indecision on the dogs parts, probably the 1st time he has seen multiple choices. So simplify it for him more seperation between bumpers at 1st and a check cord. When he picks the 1st bumper up, no here and a tug on rope with either choke chain or pinch collar, whichever he has been trained with. Create a desire to pick up and return quickly.
    Switching is a huge no-no, and it comes to light when a diversion bird is thrown on the dogs path while returning from a retrieve, as in a hunt test
    www.webfootkennel.com

Dogtra Field Staff

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    Are you comparing shopping a pile in a force drill to a switch? Apples and oranges at best.

Are you referring to the dog hunting one mark ,leaving the fall area to hunt a different bird..? There is another application for the term switch...
    When there is a diversion bird thrown close to the line a dog is returning on they can be tempted to switch birds ....Any time a dog picks one off the ground and drops it for another one it is a problem ...They should never lay one down once it is in their mouth ...That is how cripple birds escape....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    Get 150 FT ROPE....Steve S
    I Love You Man!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

My dog can handle a simple diversion so far. What's hard is having a pile of 5 to 9 bumpers in a small circle of space. Which one do you want, Ma?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    My dog can handle a simple diversion so far. What's hard is having a pile of 5 to 9 bumpers in a small circle of space. Which one do you want, Ma?
    The first one you come to, pup!

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Obviously new to this and many here have offered advice and thoughts based on a lot more experiance then I have. The one thing I have learned, the hard way, is its easier to train then to correct. By allowing to shop, I have no clue on what future poor behaviors this has foundationally been built on by allowing my pup to shop. If I am honest with myself, I don't send my pup to the pile saying "go ahead and shop and when your feel your done and deciding, come on back to me with it". So I just lowered my standards and thats a slippery slope. But each dog and owner is different and I have to weigh the cost/benifit of maybe nagging and loosing sight of the drills objective if I have a dog that cant handle nagging well.
    Muck Madness Retrievers
    Mark Berger
    Chittenango, NY

Emerald City Reba, SH
    Emerald City Rosie SH
    Muck Madness Hurricane ... "Cane"
    Muck Madness Bailey's Irish Cream ... Bailey

www.muckmadnessretrievers.com

"How you do anything is how you will do everything".

Quote Originally Posted by tide pond View Post
    Just a beginner with lots of questions. Doing pile work and my girl wants to sample all the wares. Trys all the bumpers till she finds the one that is "just right". ccd and ffd. Maybe not good enough on the force fetch? Suggestions?
    Small two inch bumpers 18 inches apart in a circle pile, then cut it down to about 12 inches apart. Keep on rope and as it progresses the very mini second it puts mouth on the bumper, yank rope with a here command, if the dog drops bumper and probably will, bumper that was dropped reinforce fetch do it again. At this stage ear pinch works best.
    Later if conditioned e collar nick lowest compliance level. If still a problem go back to walking fetch for a few days.
    Earl Dillow