The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: shopping the pile

Quote Originally Posted by kennel maiden View Post
    You 'nick' away Jd!!! There's no nicking going on here!....
    Force Fetch, the entire program has little or nothing to do with dropping birds, switching birds, it is the foundation of the electric collar program . It is about conditioning the dog to pressure, running under pressure and getting out of pressure.
    It is the basis for most e collar training. Many or so called washout dogs fail this portion of the program and later as field trial dogs are washed out. Is it the only program, no, but for many it is the easiest to follow .
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    My dog can handle a simple diversion so far. What's hard is having a pile of 5 to 9 bumpers in a small circle of space. Which one do you want, Ma?
    Jennifer , be care full with a dog that is going to do scent discrimination on articles when doing pile drills ....The quick pickup of the first on you come to will cause some fall out when they have to hunt for the correct one ...just a word of advice ...looking farther down the road.....
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    Jennifer , be care full with a dog that is going to do scent discrimination on articles when doing pile drills ....The quick pickup of the first on you come to will cause some fall out when they have to hunt for the correct one ...just a word of advice ...looking farther down the road.....
    Good advice my trial dogs, both CDX Goldens years ago were 195 plus novice and open. Got to utility never could teach the articles, tryed every thing, they were pile work dogs, grabbed the first article. One dog AFC Wildfire if Riverview CDX , Sparky, in many Golden pedigrees failed the utility work, we trained together Lew Daniels and myself
    Never could get it down . We changed some of commands like over to jump for the broad jump, but, nothing worked for the articles.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post

Thanks for the thought, Steve. We don't do Obedience, however. Just Hunt Tests and hopefully Field Trials. Two Senior tests and two Derbies coming up in April.

We do obedience and field.
    Didn't have an issue. Two different commands. Two completely different venues.
    "Find it" for articles. "Fetch it up" for bumpers.
    Earl, I'd be curious what method you used for teaching articles, and especially if it was done indoors.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    We do obedience and field.
    Didn't have an issue. Two different commands. Two completely different venues.
    "Find it" for articles. "Fetch it up" for bumpers.
    Earl, I'd be curious what method you used for teaching articles, and especially if it was done indoors.
    We tied articles down, used different types toothbrushes, etc, tried in the dark, had advice from some top obedience people used different commands. Nona Bauer featured one of the dogs in her Golden Retriever book Marshlands Shotzy CDX QAA U.S. And Canada what a mouthful haven't written that in a long, long time. I entered Shotzy in four shows
    Everyone wanted to know who the mask man was his obedience career lasted less then 9 months. He did everything perfect, directed retrieve, gloves, silent commands. Now the articles he picked the first one with the speed of sound.
    Judge wanted to know if he always worked that fast! All four shows he DQ on the articles, end of his utility career.
    I haven't done AKC obedience since these black dogs just don't have the showmanship. Connie Drobac even tried to help me, but, to no avail. That pile work did me in.
    Earl Dillow

Barb, I am sorry it was Betty Drobac, Connie Cleveland's mother I think. It was a long time ago, 1983 or1984. Also forgot some of his stuff old habits die he was

Marshland's Shotzy MH CDX Qual all age ( couldn't find stars) US and Canada Dog World award in obedience WCX ( he had a all breed amateur all age win plus points in field trials and a lotta JAMs) ran him until 10 years just couldn't finish his AFC
    I don't know what those suffixes are now?
    Last edited by Criquetpas; 02-23-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    And like I said here nick here has worked for me!
    Like using the word "no" ,around the pile is not where I would be nikking.
    Last edited by rbr; 02-23-2013 at 05:46 PM.
    Bert Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by kennel maiden View Post
    Yes, definitely in a field trial where there will be several birds lying on the ground together after a drive, sometimes almost on top of each other. In a working test there may be a few dummies put in one area for a 'picking up' exercise, yes, but these will not be right on top of each other.
    I take it you are speaking of a drive in the UK as we don't have that sort of test in American Field Trials.

My basic point however is a youngster shopping a pile in a pressure drill is realy not the same as the dog leaving the AOF after an established hunt on a marking set up,
    which in most of our minds is the definition of a switch.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

Kennel maiden...
    ???

So over there, if dog picks up a bird and rather than return directly to you she drops it and picks up another, exactly what will you do to remedy the matter?.
    In our trials we have no piles of birds in close proximity to one another. However on our separate and distinct marks the birds may be near enough to one another, say 50 yards, for dog to be tempted to "switch" to another while returning. Or, while hunting the fall area of one mark, before finding bird, dog may leave area and high tail it over to a different bird, again a Switch.
    In "pile work" training there is a pile of bumpers, not birds, which is where we have "shopping" issues. Sometimes we'll run a blind with several dogs and set out enough birds for all of them.
    When we want to end shopping "NO Here" Toot, toot, toot may be enough. It it becomes more irritating collar pressure may be added. No Here, nick or burn. However in the vicinity of guns and birds use of collar needs to be measured with a bit of caution.
    Last edited by Breck; 02-23-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie