The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Glory Hounds

Default Glory Hounds

Kudos to the Animal Planet for a a very well put together documentary entitled "Glory Hounds", which gives an insight into the work and lives of U.S. Armed Forces service dogs and their handlers. And from a former police K9 handler here stateside, I wish to extend a huge THANK YOU to those who serve, and have served, abroad, with a special thank you to those who participated in this small segment of our military.
    I'm sure Animal Planet will show this again, so I encourage you to watch it. I'm also sure that many (hell, MOST) of you will not make it throught the entire show with a completely dry eye.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". George Orwell

Just watched that too and thought it was a very well done show, heck I'd watch it again. It really gave you an idea of what these military working dogs do and OMG I guess I'm getting old but those handlers all looked so young. Do you or anyone else know why some of the dogs (not sure if they were GSDs or Malinois) had no tails? First one I saw on that show I thought might've been injured, but several of them had no tails.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

I've caught about half of the replay. I as an American am grateful to have these fine dogs and soldiers protecting my family. The dog part is an added bonus ...getting a cripple duck is no comparison to sitting on an IED that is meant to kill a fellow American.

Thank you to the trainers and dogs that keep me and my family safe at night.

Heroes should not be judged by their basketball skills.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Ntblzjk719 View Post
    Kudos to the Animal Planet for a a very well put together documentary entitled "Glory Hounds", which gives an insight into the work and lives of U.S. Armed Forces service dogs and their handlers. And from a former police K9 handler here stateside, I wish to extend a huge THANK YOU to those who serve, and have served, abroad, with a special thank you to those who participated in this small segment of our military.
    I'm sure Animal Planet will show this again, so I encourage you to watch it. I'm also sure that many (hell, MOST) of you will not make it throught the entire show with a completely dry eye.

I thought they did a fantastic job on the show and I am in that group that didn't keep a dry eye.

I thought the entire show was well done, from the work the dogs did on a daily basis to the love each handler had for his dog.
    The dog coming to Afganistan from Alaska.....wow.
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    I thought the entire show was well done, from the work the dogs did on a daily basis to the love each handler had for his dog.
    The dog coming to Afganistan from Alaska.....wow.
    I cannot say it was enjoyable to watch what our troops must endure in Afganistan especially when handlers are injured and the dogs are killed from IED's, but it was enlightening. I did appreciate how the dog's were honored when they covered the dog killed with the American Flag and then had the ceremony in camp and the dogs that gave their life's names are displayed. Their facebook page about the documentary says over 600 dogs are performing this service in country.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)