RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Glory Hounds

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  frontier 
#1 ·
Kudos to the Animal Planet for a a very well put together documentary entitled "Glory Hounds", which gives an insight into the work and lives of U.S. Armed Forces service dogs and their handlers. And from a former police K9 handler here stateside, I wish to extend a huge THANK YOU to those who serve, and have served, abroad, with a special thank you to those who participated in this small segment of our military.
I'm sure Animal Planet will show this again, so I encourage you to watch it. I'm also sure that many (hell, MOST) of you will not make it throught the entire show with a completely dry eye.

#2 ·
Just watched that too and thought it was a very well done show, heck I'd watch it again. It really gave you an idea of what these military working dogs do and OMG I guess I'm getting old but those handlers all looked so young. Do you or anyone else know why some of the dogs (not sure if they were GSDs or Malinois) had no tails? First one I saw on that show I thought might've been injured, but several of them had no tails.

#3 ·
I've caught about half of the replay. I as an American am grateful to have these fine dogs and soldiers protecting my family. The dog part is an added bonus ...getting a cripple duck is no comparison to sitting on an IED that is meant to kill a fellow American.

Thank you to the trainers and dogs that keep me and my family safe at night.

Heroes should not be judged by their basketball skills.

#4 ·
Kudos to the Animal Planet for a a very well put together documentary entitled "Glory Hounds", which gives an insight into the work and lives of U.S. Armed Forces service dogs and their handlers. And from a former police K9 handler here stateside, I wish to extend a huge THANK YOU to those who serve, and have served, abroad, with a special thank you to those who participated in this small segment of our military.
I'm sure Animal Planet will show this again, so I encourage you to watch it. I'm also sure that many (hell, MOST) of you will not make it throught the entire show with a completely dry eye.

I thought they did a fantastic job on the show and I am in that group that didn't keep a dry eye.

#6 ·
I cannot say it was enjoyable to watch what our troops must endure in Afganistan especially when handlers are injured and the dogs are killed from IED's, but it was enlightening. I did appreciate how the dog's were honored when they covered the dog killed with the American Flag and then had the ceremony in camp and the dogs that gave their life's names are displayed. Their facebook page about the documentary says over 600 dogs are performing this service in country.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.