The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: shopping the pile

Default shopping the pile

Just a beginner with lots of questions. Doing pile work and my girl wants to sample all the wares. Trys all the bumpers till she finds the one that is "just right". ccd and ffd. Maybe not good enough on the force fetch? Suggestions?

Do you have her on a rope? That is one of its purposes; to correct shopping. "Here"/tug is the treatment. Keep a foot or two between the bumpers.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

I know I was having this problem too. Like Evan said, key was the rope for yard work teaching the pile (starting 5 ft from pile, and max 20-25 ft) once we had that down it was to a larger field we went....this is where I learned distance between your bumpers is key and I also noticed for my pup if there was not enough distance between the bumpers (and if the smaller ones were up front) she easily overran them for larger middle of the pile bumpers, creating some confusion when she turned around to see more upon return. Rope and stretching the pile (deepen it with added distance) are my 2 cents...and in my case use a consistent bumper size or the bigger ones up front
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Do you have her on a rope? That is one of its purposes; to correct shopping. "Here"/tug is the treatment. Keep a foot or two between the bumpers.

Evan
    She is of rope. Thought I was past that but probably not. She is so quick at picking one up and going to the next that I don't know if I would have time to react. Should I reduce my "pile" to one till she doesn't drop then go on to 2, etc?

Evan, Matt, thanks for the imput. We"ll go bac to the chek cord in the a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by tide pond View Post
    She is of rope. Thought I was past that but probably not. She is so quick at picking one up and going to the next that I don't know if I would have time to react. Should I reduce my "pile" to one till she doesn't drop then go on to 2, etc?
    I start my pile work with 3 bumpers in what i call a Mini-pile specifically to clean up issues like shopping before setting a full pile. Not a bad idea to step back to that for this purpose.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by tide pond View Post
    Just a beginner with lots of questions. Doing pile work and my girl wants to sample all the wares. Trys all the bumpers till she finds the one that is "just right". ccd and ffd. Maybe not good enough on the force fetch? Suggestions?
    Trust me I am no expert, but with the great advise from other members here on RTF, I found indirect pressure with the collar to be most productive to cure shopping the pile. My rope work isn't the best, was always tangling, getting wrapped around the dog's behind, and was more of a distraction to the dog than anything else etc. Using indirect pressure, if he shopped I would command Sit with a nick, then fetch come. Once I was getting good results with that I moved on to force to pile. I dont have anymore shopping the pile issues and the dog has a strong compulsion to get to that pile and grab one bumper and return now that we are in FTP.

Good luck with your dog
    Last edited by freezeland; 02-22-2013 at 06:24 AM.

I am thinking about this and wonder why "shopping" is such a bad thing. My thoughts say that the dog just needs to bring back "a" bumper not a particular one. I seems to me that a good part of what we do involves the dog having fun until the point they make a serious mistake. I am looking for perspective here so thanks for answers.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

I'm no expert either but why would "fetch" with a nick not work if the dog is shopping the pile and has been though FF and CC?

Quote Originally Posted by grnhd View Post
    I'm no expert either but why would "fetch" with a nick not work if the dog is shopping the pile and has been though FF and CC?
    In my humble inexperienced opinion I think that is fine in force to pile, but if introducing to pile work I would use the rope as others have suggested if proficient with it without distracting the dog, but in my case I am not proficient enough with it. So I used indirect pressure, by commanding sit "nick", then a fetch come. I saved the fetch (Back command) with a "nick" until force to pile.