The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Higher the Poop the Better?

Quote Originally Posted by CamoDog View Post
    ..my guy walks thru the tallest grass to get it thru his back legs, trying to leave his pile on top of it. I was told its a male dominance thing, leaving their scent the highest. Ive seen Coyote and Fox do the same atop stumps,etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman1001 View Post
    But the real question is: Do any of you out there have a male who will lift his left and then take a crap at the same time? Mine will not always do it, but it seems like he is trying to multitask more and more lately.
    My oldest has always done this. Thanks for letting me know why! I have actually seen him poop on a basketball while hiking his leg and peeing all at the same time. Poor nephew came running out of the house a few minutes later and grabbed his basketball without looking.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gawthorpe View Post
    Any biologists that can explain this behavior in dogs?
    It is interesting that puppies at 4 week this behavior already shows up.
    All 3 species of wild canids that I have worked on (Red Fox, Wolf and Coyote) were very selective about where and how they defecated and urinated much of the time, especially when near boundaries of their territories. They chose places that were prominent and near junctions and near noticeable objects. It was not uncommon to elevate their poop on structures as well as mark high with urine. They also would scratch and produce a visual marker much like a buck's scrape. Note deer scrapes and rubs and scent-marked over-hanging branches are similar. It's all about advertising.

Some of my males were more into this than others. I have seen bitches do it also. These dogs may be dominant(in their minds in relation to other dogs) but not necessary in relation to you.

So when we see these behaviours in dogs, it is just normal behaviour typical of canids.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Zman1001 View Post
    But the real question is: Do any of you out there have a male who will lift his left and then take a crap at the same time? Mine will not always do it, but it seems like he is trying to multitask more and more lately.
    Mine does it all the time ! Funny as hell to watch him maintain his balance. Mine like to back up to a tree,mailbox and bushes.
    HRCH Fat Daddy Cash MH
    HR Tonka's Rebel Yell JH

Dennis:
    Great biology lesson. Now I understand why they just crapped all over my barbell set!
    KARMA - The return on your entries will increase the sooner you decide to contribute one of your weekends to be in the judge's chair and judge others who have done the same for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawthorpe View Post
    Dennis:
    Great biology lesson. Now I understand why they just crapped all over my barbell set!
    Eric,
    That is a great follow up to your question.....

Had one who would backup and shit on a tree in my yard every morning, guess he needed something to balance on?
    Just Win

You now know why I no longer have beautiful planters at the front of the house.

Mine usually just craps at the line at a HT.

Lonnie Spann

I do have an interesting story...

I know a fellow who was locked up in the drunk-tank one night in the City Jail in Birmingham, AL. He was in the cell with approx. 10 others who were presumably under the influence. Well, this fellow who was causing trouble ended up being placed in a cell all by his lonesome directly across the hall from the above- mentioned offenders. Well this guy took off his sock, urinated in it and then commenced to swinging it toward the guys in the cell across from him, SPRAYING THEM WITH URINE! They immediately hovered in the back of the cell, however not quite out of reach of the spray! Maybe this was his way of urinating on the highest location, marking his territory?

Lonnie Spann

My oldest male does this. Now I know why!!! The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. He's the most dominant male (attitude wise) I've ever seen. Learn something every day.