The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: A Long, Terrifying, Read

Default A Long, Terrifying, Read

I think we have pretty good insurance with my wife's job, and thankfully, we are mostly pretty healthy, but this LONG article is pretty scary and does make one think that perhaps there is something desperately wrong with our health care system.

Read it if you dare!!!

http://healthland.time.com/2013/02/2...re-killing-us/
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

That was a long read. I worked in health care for a bit and my wife is a nurse so I have heard and seen it from all sides. Not long ago I was working for a company, we had yearly meetings with our insurance reps. We had about 50 guys most with families and almost all were very healthy. we had two people who had pretty big health problems. They told us that our insurance as a whole was going to go up several hundred a month per person to keep it the same. They broke out some graphs to show us how to save ourselves some money by going to non hospital or clinics for things like an MRI and bla bla bla.. On the bar graph office visits were our number 1 expense by a long shot. then they showed what we spent on everything broke down with the bar graphs. I was very surprised at what the office visits came out to.

Having worked in a small clinic for a bit prior I got to know some Dr.s pretty well. One showed me what he makes a year and I was surprised by what gets billed and what he actually makes. Now to get to the point here. Seeing what we were paying for in ins I spoke up..

Why the hell don't we hire our own doctor!

The ins. lady looked aghast at my suggestion, everyone looked at me like I was stupid. I bet it could have shaved 80% on our premiums but we would have lost a little choice with who we could see. I could not even imagine what it would have saved on Workman's comp.

I really hate to say this, but somehow it just seems wrong that folks who can least afford to pay end up paying the most. Living in Texas, and having had an aunt and an uncle who died of cancer (treated by MD Anderson) I have always believed that MD Anderson was the knight in shining armor that would treat you with kindness and dignity, doing their best to cure you. I now feel like perhaps they are a group of soulless grave robbers who incidentally, on occasion, save a life or two (while ruining many others and enriching a select few).
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    I really hate to say this, but somehow it just seems wrong that folks who can least afford to pay end up paying the most. Living in Texas, and having had an aunt and an uncle who died of cancer (treated by MD Anderson) I have always believed that MD Anderson was the knight in shining armor that would treat you with kindness and dignity, doing their best to cure you. I now feel like perhaps they are a group of soulless grave robbers who incidentally, on occasion, save a life or two (while ruining many others and enriching a select few).

Hugh: I am sorry that you feel that way about MD Anderson, you are entitled to your opinion...I obviously do not share the same sentiment because they have treated many close friends of mine, and know that if any of my friends or family had to battle the big C, then I like their chances at MDA, and I sincerely hope none of you ever need their services...

to put a twist paraphrase of a street saying...hate the game, not the player
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Did you read the article? If the article is accurate, the "players" are in total control of the "game", so the blame needs to go where it needs to go.

I wasn't singling MD Anderson out (and by the way, I did say that I had an aunt and an uncle, along with at least one friend who were treated there (none of whom had positive outcomes)). It looks to me like the entire industry is really screwed up. Several years ago my wife had to have some surgery at our local hospital and the main thing I remember is that we had to sign a bunch of papers that they wouldn't give us copies of or even let us take them away from the desk to sit down and read them thoroughly.
    Last edited by HPL; 02-22-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)