The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Labs today vs labs of yesteryear/

Do you really think cancer is more prevalent or is it more easily diagnosed? I believe as with humans it is more of a case of diagnosis than actual higher numbers of cancer.
    Daren Galloway

Quote Originally Posted by daren galloway View Post
    do you really think cancer is more prevalent or is it more easily diagnosed? I believe as with humans it is more of a case of diagnosis than actual higher numbers of cancer.
    agree!!!!!!

Good point, yesteryears, "My dog died." Today, "My dog died from cancer." The lifespan probably hasn't changed much.

I think cruciate problems are more common now. I had a dog in about 1983 that had cruciate surgery. Most hadn't heard of it.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post

Northernstorm, I agree with you whole heartedly, although most won't. Trying to be better benefits everyone. I've always had a problem with, "my dog got his MH with all barely acceptables, yours got a MH with all excellents." Hunt tests were based on the premise of doing good enough. If the dogs 50 years from now are just good enough what is gained? A MH with a "D" average is a MH, one with an "A" average is a MH. .
    John, you hit that one right on the nail!!!! I have trained out at Keiths before, awesome grounds.

Starting in about May we are there most weekends, stop by.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    Starting in about May we are there most weekends, stop by.
    Thanks, I might have to take you up on that, maybe jd6400 will stop by as well

IMHO the FT lab of the past would mark and handle as well as those of the present time given modern training methods applied.
    As an unofficial personal observation today's lab tends to be smaller and faster. Could this be related to the frequency of various orthopedic conditions? Is the FT gene pool shrinking allowing more diseases to manifest? Time will tell.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

the trainers of yesteryear didnt have wingers, stickmen,two way radios, and multi frequency collars....

but they did have access to more and sometimes better training and trialing grounds than their contemporaries of today, the loss of those grounds can never be truly measured, but the current venues are used by both HT and FT along with other dog breeds

the dogs of yesteryear were great dogs then and would be great dogs now...all you have to do is take a look at the National fields and see how many current and future champions were in those Nationals, along with how many RHOF dogs were around on a weekly basis

You could beat Corky, Honcho,Piper,Moon,Moose,Rascal or Kate back then and chances are you wouldnt beat them now
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

i feel hunt tests are more for the handlers, meaning the guy who loves to train his hunting buddy and is rather good at it but can afford nor do the field trail life style. i feel thats wut it is, your whole life revolves around trials, right? i think hunt tests are meant for the "average" guy who wants to show the skills of his dog and its fun for him n his dog. i kno for some hunt tests are just as serious. Guess what im trying to say is wouldnt making hunt tests harder can push out those "average" guys with great dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by tank47 View Post
    i feel hunt tests are more for the handlers, meaning the guy who loves to train his hunting buddy and is rather good at it but can afford nor do the field trail life style. i feel thats wut it is, your whole life revolves around trials, right? i think hunt tests are meant for the "average" guy who wants to show the skills of his dog and its fun for him n his dog. i kno for some hunt tests are just as serious. Guess what im trying to say is wouldnt making hunt tests harder can push out those "average" guys with great dogs?
    Kinda where I wanted this to go!We ran the first AKC hunt test Buckeye put on.We took 16 dogs and passed everything!!!I can remember the trip back to the kennel and dad said,"this is going to do nothing for the retriever breed"but will be great for people who can`t afford the FT game.Then he said "mark my word,people are still going to want to know who has the better dog"

Several yrs. later along came the master national! Just some observations of years gone by!!!! Jim