The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Labs today vs labs of yesteryear/

Quote Originally Posted by walt8@cox.net View Post
    I would say couldn't beat Corky, etc... Otherwise all true, at least in my opinion.
    Walt
    Ahh! but he was beat! Tremendous animal but he was still human.....ha, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Ahh! but he was beat! Tremendous animal but he was still human.....ha, Jim
    Short check down bird catch him every time.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion View Post
    IMHO the FT lab of the past would mark and handle as well as those of the present time given modern training methods applied.
    As an unofficial personal observation today's lab tends to be smaller and faster. Could this be related to the frequency of various orthopedic conditions? Is the FT gene pool shrinking allowing more diseases to manifest? Time will tell.

Tim
    A great question to ponder Tim! Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    Well almost every time , haha!
    Earl Dillow

With a looong flyer! Jim

Quote Originally Posted by walt8@cox.net View Post
    I would say couldn't beat Corky, etc... Otherwise all true, at least in my opinion.
    Walt
    it was a typo it was supposed to say Couldn't

and FTR Clint/Judge beat Corky head to head at the RMRC for his first OPEN win on the weekend Judge turned two tears of age,couple with the Amateur win at Lone Star two months earlier, he was the youngest dog at the National Amateur that year at 25 months of age...

the first person to congratulate Clint after he completed the 4th series was none other than D.L.Walters when he came up to Clint and said " son, I didnt think it was possible for a dog so young, but I think you just won yourself an Open"

Clint always tells me that was one of his fondest memories of his FT career
    Last edited by BonMallari; 02-23-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    With a looong flyer! Jim
    Yup. When John had him before Mike bought him he loved those birds with some noise too.
    Earl Dillow

jd - i've erased the quote for ease of answering -

Heres a few things I`ve noticed about what has been going on in the last 30 yrs.

An influx of cruciate ligament tears. Somewhat bigger dogs, longer tests, more training - I have always been partial to smaller dogs - Code Blue, Watergator Sam, Paha Sapa Chief size - they hold up well over their lifetimes.

Cancer is more prevalent - When it strikes a high profile dog we notice it more - I would say because of a lot of use of a limited gene pool we are seeing more conditions - food allergy, skeletal, CNM - in the old days the best local stud was bred to the best local bitch, pups went to the good trainers, sometimes that worked, but we actually saw the dogs so knew their issues.

Markin ability is better - I started in '63, the guy that taught me a lot of what I know was a guy named Bob Sparks who owned at the time a pup named Moon - In my days of watching dogs I have never seen a dog that could consistently mark better - on occasion dogs like Ray's Rascal & Corky could come close or equal, but none better. 9 Derbies, 30 points, 5 wins, 1 second, 1 third, 2 greenies against some very high powered Derby dogs - I've ran against Lean Mac, trained with & ran against Charmain -

Trainability is better - training tools & techniques are better - help is more available - people who know are willing to share what they know - people have more leisure time to devote to this pursuit

Ability to get in water has greatly diminished! (this has me concerned) - Don't agree, water for training is at a premium - unless you have the knack of reading dogs it is an easy part of the process to screw up - I have seen some great water dogs all through my trialing experience.

now realize this is a generalized statement and I don`t get a ton of super well bred FT bred dogs through here to work with also.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Yup. When John had him before Mike bought him he loved those birds with some noise too.
    Thank God,Hunters Creek was around!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    jd - i've erased the quote for ease of answering -

Heres a few things I`ve noticed about what has been going on in the last 30 yrs.

An influx of cruciate ligament tears. Somewhat bigger dogs, longer tests, more training - I have always been partial to smaller dogs - Code Blue, Watergator Sam, Paha Sapa Chief size - they hold up well over their lifetimes.

Cancer is more prevalent - When it strikes a high profile dog we notice it more - I would say because of a lot of use of a limited gene pool we are seeing more conditions - food allergy, skeletal, CNM - in the old days the best local stud was bred to the best local bitch, pups went to the good trainers, sometimes that worked, but we actually saw the dogs so knew their issues.

Markin ability is better - I started in '63, the guy that taught me a lot of what I know was a guy named Bob Sparks who owned at the time a pup named Moon - In my days of watching dogs I have never seen a dog that could consistently mark better - on occasion dogs like Ray's Rascal & Corky could come close or equal, but none better. 9 Derbies, 30 points, 5 wins, 1 second, 1 third, 2 greenies against some very high powered Derby dogs - I've ran against Lean Mac, trained with & ran against Charmain -

Trainability is better - training tools & techniques are better - help is more available - people who know are willing to share what they know - people have more leisure time to devote to this pursuit

Ability to get in water has greatly diminished! (this has me concerned) - Don't agree, water for training is at a premium - unless you have the knack of reading dogs it is an easy part of the process to screw up - I have seen some great water dogs all through my trialing experience.

now realize this is a generalized statement and I don`t get a ton of super well bred FT bred dogs through here to work with also.
    Good stuff right there Marvin,thanks for your insight!!!Hopin a lot of the younger crowd is takin this in.....Jim