The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: Labs today vs labs of yesteryear/

  1. #31
    Senior Member shawninthesticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    north east mo
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    ^^^^^yep^^^^
    Shawn White

    HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

  2. #32
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,548

    Default

    I saw Ray's Rascal on more than one occasion, even watched him win the National Am in '74, he WAS the finest marking dog I have ever seen...threw great marking dogs too..we had one in a dog named Rex (John Rex Rascal) who was named for John Luther my brother's first teacher/mentor of dog training and as a tribute to Rex Carr..Rex could mark with radar like precision, he would appear to run straight at the guns and then peel off and pin the birds...

    another great marking dog was one owned by a then young man from Oregon named TJ Lindbloom, and that dog was named McGuffy...he won the National in 79..his sire was also Ray's Rascal
    Last edited by BonMallari; 02-23-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I saw Ray's Rascal on more than one occasion, even watched him win the National Am in '74, he WAS the finest marking dog I have ever seen...threw great marking dogs too..we had one in a dog named Rex (John Rex Rascal) who was named for John Luther my brother's first teacher/mentor of dog training and as a tribute to Rex Carr..Rex could mark with radar like precision, he would appear to run straight at the guns and then peel off and pin the birds...

    another great marking dog was one owned by a then young man from Oregon named TJ Lindbloom, and that dog was named McGuffy...he won the National in 79..his sire was also Ray's Rascal
    Having judged & run against Rascal I won't disagree with your assessment except to say he could be beat in certain situations . McGuffy was injured & never returned to his old form (I think I may have judged him as a Derby dog) as did not Cougar's Rocket after his injury.
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  4. #34
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Having judged & run against Rascal I won't disagree with your assessment except to say he could be beat in certain situations . McGuffy was injured & never returned to his old form (I think I may have judged him as a Derby dog) as did not Cougar's Rocket after his injury.
    As they all could/can be... That's part of what's great about the sport. You win against some of the big names and those memories stay with you forever.
    Bill Davis

  5. #35
    Senior Member John Robinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bigfork, Montana
    Posts
    3,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northernstorm View Post
    And this is what needs to be done in Hunt Tests as well,
    I don't see how raising the standards for hunt test will improve the breed. I strongly believe a dog that earned a MH title in the early ninties would still be considered an excellent dog to hunt over today. If you want tougher test run field trials, I think the hunt test program works just fine as is.

    John

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I don't see how raising the standards for hunt test will improve the breed. I strongly believe a dog that earned a MH title in the early ninties would still be considered an excellent dog to hunt over today. If you want tougher test run field trials, I think the hunt test program works just fine as is.

    John
    Agree heartily .
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  7. #37
    Senior Member Breck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Elverson, PA
    Posts
    2,417

    Default

    As far as dogs from the past, if Sweet Pea by some sort of magic had any Charlemagne juice in storage I would buy every bit of it. Same for Itch.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

    .
    Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie




  8. #38
    Senior Member 2tall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Taos, New Mexico
    Posts
    7,989

    Default

    Did Sweet Pea own Itchin' to Go???? (I'm guessing that is the dog you refer to?)
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

  9. #39
    Senior Member Breck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Elverson, PA
    Posts
    2,417

    Default

    No, it was someone else. Probably as hot as sp in her day.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

    .
    Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie




  10. #40
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    As they all could/can be... That's part of what's great about the sport. You win against some of the big names and those memories stay with you forever.
    in '77 when Roy McFall and Piper went on their prolonged streak of wins 6 Open 10 Amateur, he almost seemed unbeatable..

    Roy came down to Texas to train with Clint and John Luther in the fall of '76 and spent a considerable amount of time until Nov then went to Phoenix and finished 4th in the Open and won the Amateur..Roy knew Piper was hot and ready to go on a roll, and he was determined to proved to the skeptics that he could win outside of the state of Alaska..I went to a few of the trials in the SoCal area the spring of '77 and Piper was just racking up blue ribbons.(will post up the results later)...the guy that just hated seeing Roy the most was Peter Lane w/Kate...Kate set a record for the most second places that year in the Amateur with an astounding 17 second place finishes almost half were to Piper

    Peter Lane /Kate came back and won the National Amateur in '78 ,beating Roy/Kelly, Judy/Honcho and a dog that would win the National that fall in Shadow of Otter Creek with Robert Kennon Jr
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •