The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Very interesting article on vet schools vs income prospects for grads

Default Very interesting article on vet schools vs income prospects for grads

Though long, this is a good article. It sure helps to explain why so many newly graduated vets join the franchise practices with multi Docs on staff. I wonder if a young grad who had taken some additional business courses would have better luck if they tried to establish private practice? As the consumer, I know I would choose that vet every time. But I imagine there a world of challenges with that path too. Thoughts?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/bu...?smid=fb-share
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I would certainly choose the sole-practitioner over a clinic with several partners. However, I am sure the Vet. in the article makes considerably more than the article implies.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Lonnie, somewhere in there they stated that the AVERAGE starting salary was around $45k, with many working contract, intern, residency, etc for far less. I guess my question is how much more schooling, insurance and overhead expenses could a private practice cover?
    Carol,

This is a very hot topic in the vet world. Many practioners are going out of business. Young grads trying to figure out how to pay off student loans, start a family, buy a house etc.

I would tell anyone that tells me they want to be a vet, to reconsider. Long hours, inconsiderate clients, poor pay.

Been there, still doing that.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Lonnie, somewhere in there they stated that the AVERAGE starting salary was around $45k, with many working contract, intern, residency, etc for far less. I guess my question is how much more schooling, insurance and overhead expenses could a private practice cover?
    I really can't answer that question. Any profession will come with huge expenses, or at least mine did. It's a business not an entitlement, it ends up being what the professional makes of it. What I'm trying to say is, a Vet. can make a mint or they can go broke it comes down to BUSINESS sense.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

I haven't been really impressed with many newly graduating vets, they're sort've uppity, mainly those who have lived in school their whole lives and not really out in the world animal or otherwise doing anything. Lots of $$$ testing, spay-neuter @ birth, few social skills and know it all attitudes. Seems a franchise practice might be a good place to start for that type, get some real world experience before they try to make it on their own, if they ever do. Down home country common since vets are becoming few and far between. School debt is sky-high vs. earning potential, doesn't make a bunch of since to go Vet when you could go Doc or Nurse in the same time period, with basically the same class structure, less in that your only studying one animal and with the same after school debt.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-25-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Ny neice just finished Vet school. When I saw her over the holidays she was a little nervous about finding employment. I wish her luck!!!

Every college degree comes with the risk of not being able to pay your loans.This is a sad fact. My vet is from India. He was educated there. I think he does a great job and his practice looks to be successful. He has put down 3 pets for us over the years. He was great each time, explaining the whole thing to my daughter who was 6 the first time. I really like the guy...

The problem of healthcare education debt is the same for humans and animals. While many may prefer the solo private Doc they are becoming an "endangered species".
    The new Dr. fresh out of training has financial obligations. He/She can not afford to buy into or buy out ole Dr. Jones and the idea another 1/2-3/4 million loan to set up is not attractive or possible. So new Doc takes a salary position with large group or national frachise while ole Dr. Jones just one day closes the door.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

What if ole Dr. Jones took on an apprentice? Say free room and board, small salary to pay school bills and eventually the practice. I guess its too late for that as the big franchise's have taken such a stronghold. I am too nostalgic. We used the same vet for 30 years. The old guy knew us and all of our animals as well as his own family. His wife was a total witch with the calculator and pen, but she kept that business profitable enough to put their oldest son through vet school without loans. When the old man passed away about 10 years ago, his son had already had years of experience working with both of his parents, and now has a highly respected and profitable practice. Mainly horses, but small animals too for his "customers". This guy was a school mate of mine.
    Carol,