The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have stories of Sig Vilagi?

Default Anybody have stories of Sig Vilagi?

I have only been involved in training FT dogs for a few years. Being a member of the Madison WI Retriever Club I was/am lucky enough to get involved with a training group that includes Sig Vilagi, Don Wolf and other good trainers.
    Sig is my hero, and I mean that sincerely. He is now 88 years old and still training when the winter weather allows. I am sure he will be out training this spring.
    Some of you grizzled veterans must have a story or two to share about Sig.
    Sig is a member of the Retriever Hall of Fame.
    If so, please share.

He is a amateurs amateur. Judged with him, trained with him and competed against him. He probably has forgotten more about retriever training, then many amateurs know. Get Trog going on this one, we are all life members of the Madison retriever club.
    Earl Dillow

Jerry, talk to Dick Reeseman or Dick Dallassee I train with them guys sometimes I'm sure that have plenty of stories.

Quote Originally Posted by TY 4 View Post
    Jerry, talk to Dick Reeseman or Dick Dallassee I train with them guys sometimes I'm sure that have plenty of stories.
    Layne, Sig has been playing this game probably longer than I have been on the planet! He has shared many a good story with me. I speak with Reesman weekly and will train with the other "Dick" when he gets back from down south.
    Just looking for more stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchm View Post
    Layne, Sig has been playing this game probably longer than I have been on the planet! He has shared many a good story with me. I speak with Reesman weekly and will train with the other "Dick" when he gets back from down south.
    Just looking for more stories.
    Unless they are lurking some where don't think they are on the forum. Dick, myself a few others talk old stuff at some of the times we have trained at Muth's place and WisAm grounds. Sig was a member of the Bong Retriever Club 30 years ago give or take a few years. Club is now disbanded. Reeseman was one of the original members as I was. Reeseman goes back to the mid 1980's. I ran my first in 1965 at Madison, where Sig was a member before then, along with Mary H. Candlewoods and others. Trog who monitors this forum is the unofficial historium of Madison Ret Club. One quick Sig story his FC/AFC Pepper needed a half point title for her FC. We had a huge fun trial at West Bend to work on trial issues it was a who's who of big time trial dogs trial issues. Pepper was a handful to get her to the line. She thought she was at a trial.Sig started to come to the line Pepper of course thought she was at a trial. Out of no wear came a wiffle bat guy picked Pepper up and swatted her. Can still remember the surprised look on her face! Like this is a trial you can't domthis to me. She placed the following weekend and made her FC. Is this what you are looking for?
    Earl Dillow

Earl, that is classic!! Thanks for sharing.
    I was born in 1965.
    I know Terry quite well. Shot flyers with him at Madison last spring for a Q. Guided with him for pheasants at Milford. Tipped a few with him. He tells great stories.
    The whiffle bat. Don Wolf carried one. I liked the ones that were cracked and made big noise when used properly. WTH!!
    Someday I hope to be asked about in the same vein as these guys.

One of my early encounters with Sig was when I wanted to breed my bitch to an FC he owned at the time - Sasseville Toro. Drove from north of Milwaukee to Sig's house near Madison, Wi. Couldn't get the breeding done that night so I asked Sig when I could come back & try it again. Sig suggested & allowed me to take Toro with me & bring him back after we got it done! Trusted me to take his FC & bring him and back - what a great guy! Only FC that has ever been in my kennel!
    Made a lasting impression on me forever....Sig is truly one of a kind!

Quote Originally Posted by Watchm View Post
    Earl, that is classic!! Thanks for sharing.
    I was born in 1965.
    I know Terry quite well. Shot flyers with him at Madison last spring for a Q. Guided with him for pheasants at Milford. Tipped a few with him. He tells great stories.
    The whiffle bat. Don Wolf carried one. I liked the ones that were cracked and made big noise when used properly. WTH!!
    Someday I hope to be asked about in the same vein as these guys.
    The whiffle bat guy was Mike L. But don't tell anyone. I think Lottie was there too. Whiffle bat is a noise maker not much hurt.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    The whiffle bat guy was Mike L. But don't tell anyone. I think Lottie was there too. Whiffle bat is a noise maker not much hurt.
    Great story Earl!! Fellow I trained with in the mid 80's never went anywhere without his wiffleball bat. About 15 or so years ago I started using the split bamboo rattle sticks. They make a lot of noise, but they don't hurt the dogs.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Great story Earl!! Fellow I trained with in the mid 80's never went anywhere without his wiffleball bat. About 15 or so years ago I started using the split bamboo rattle sticks. They make a lot of noise, but they don't hurt the dogs.
    My FC/AFC Mioak's Criquetpas had her own engraved whiffle bat. She had respect for the bat, I was just the pest that took the birds from her at a trial.
    Earl Dillow