RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Anybody have stories of Sig Vilagi?

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Criquetpas 
#1 ·
I have only been involved in training FT dogs for a few years. Being a member of the Madison WI Retriever Club I was/am lucky enough to get involved with a training group that includes Sig Vilagi, Don Wolf and other good trainers.
Sig is my hero, and I mean that sincerely. He is now 88 years old and still training when the winter weather allows. I am sure he will be out training this spring.
Some of you grizzled veterans must have a story or two to share about Sig.
Sig is a member of the Retriever Hall of Fame.
If so, please share.

#4 ·
Layne, Sig has been playing this game probably longer than I have been on the planet! He has shared many a good story with me. I speak with Reesman weekly and will train with the other "Dick" when he gets back from down south.
Just looking for more stories.

#6 ·
Earl, that is classic!! Thanks for sharing.
I was born in 1965.
I know Terry quite well. Shot flyers with him at Madison last spring for a Q. Guided with him for pheasants at Milford. Tipped a few with him. He tells great stories.
The whiffle bat. Don Wolf carried one. I liked the ones that were cracked and made big noise when used properly. WTH!!
Someday I hope to be asked about in the same vein as these guys.

#7 ·
One of my early encounters with Sig was when I wanted to breed my bitch to an FC he owned at the time - Sasseville Toro. Drove from north of Milwaukee to Sig's house near Madison, Wi. Couldn't get the breeding done that night so I asked Sig when I could come back & try it again. Sig suggested & allowed me to take Toro with me & bring him back after we got it done! Trusted me to take his FC & bring him and back - what a great guy! Only FC that has ever been in my kennel!
Made a lasting impression on me forever....Sig is truly one of a kind!

#11 ·
Sig had a dog, please forgive my spelling, Les Coup De Grace (Tiger) out of Corky. He became and FC-AFC but developed a problem of picking the feathers from a bird. You never knew when it would happen, usually the last series. He would put one foot on it and pluck the bird in the field on the way back with it. Feathers would fly but the duck would come back naked. Sig would take Tiger with him to work and would train him during the noon hour. This dog was an awesome lining dog and in those days this was something that was pre collar and hard to achieve One of those people in the history of the game that gave back so much. His judging talent and bird placement was awesome, he was so involved with the Madison Retriever club for so many years, his wife was field trial secretary and cocktail party hostess and work for so many years - any of you people out there that remember those days of camping at Madison trials and the parties - including close to midnight pheasant breast cooking on the grills. A true legend in the game and proud to me a friend for over 40 years.
trog

#13 ·
A funny story. My great grandmother was from Oslo, Norway. She had a book with a lot of Norwegion. Stoughten Wisconsin is the second Norway of Wisconsin. I brought the book to Sig to see if he knew Norwegion. His name sounded like Norwegion to me? I gave him the book and without missing a beat began to read. After a few minutes George Bendrick couldn't stand it any longer he said ,Earl, he is Lithulanian and doesn't have a clue what he is reading! Sig has a sense of humor. Red faced I took back the book and we all had a laugh.

#14 ·
gotta put a pic with the man..Good people! Cap Headgear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.