The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Heads Up - UB

Default Heads Up - UB

SD college tests pulse scans

Quote Originally Posted by AP (edited)
    Futurists have long proclaimed the coming of the cashless society, where dollar bills & plastic cards are replaced by fingerprint & retina scanners smart enough to distinguish a living, breathing account holder from an ID thief.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On a recent Friday, ME major Bernard Keeler handed a Red Bull to a cashier in the Miner's Shack campus shop, typed his Birthdate into a pay pad & swiped his finger. Within seconds, the machine had ID'd his print & checked that their was blood beneath it, allowing him to make the buy. Afterward, Keeler proudly showed off the receipt he was sent via E-mail on his smartphone.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Quite a trip from slide rules . This is a school that used to announce at Freshman orientation - look to your right & look to your left, at the end of year one - one of you will be gone, at the end of year two only one will be left - & they meant it .

They have a museum of mineral specimens that is worthy of a visit if you are in the vicinity.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    SD college tests pulse scans

Quite a trip from slide rules
    . This is a school that used to announce at Freshman orientation - look to your right & look to your left, at the end of year one - one of you will be gone, at the end of year two only one will be left - & they meant it .

They have a museum of mineral specimens that is worthy of a visit if you are in the vicinity.
    I wonder how many on here can actually work a slide rule...I was taught by someone when I was in jrhs. but never used it, and by the time I got to college they were extinct and replaced by Texas Instruments hand held calculators...dont know if I could still work one today..

I am guessing the same could be said for my favorite tool in school, the drafting arm...spent many an hour in drafting class, of course my teacher was also my track and tennis coach so it was all business and cutting class was never an option
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Here comes Big Brother. One reason I have never gotten a CC permit is that I see no reason for my fingerprints to be on file anywhere.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Here comes Big Brother. One reason I have never gotten a CC permit is that I see no reason for my fingerprints to be on file anywhere.
    When those students were building that mechanism I doubt if your concern ever entered their mind. Folks from SD are a trusting lot & also very patriotic .

Joining the military puts your prints on file . In my day we had no choice.

Marvin S

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

My Dad, a Civil Engineer, could be seen at the drafting table with a slide rule in hand long after the advent of calculators. I still have one around here someplace.

C and D scale regards,
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

According to James Dale Davidson, who's attempting a comeback of sorts with his famous newsletter of the 80's, STRATEGIC INVESTMENT, on March 21st, America's most popular investment will reach it's use-by date. When he, and the now deceased Lord William Rees-Mogg, combined to write and come up with a variety of outrageous predictions, they were about as good a barometer of things to come as was available. When he "closed up shop", I was quite disappointed. This was around the Y2K bug era, and he had on the drawing board several companies that he was promoting that had developed the 'star wars' type system you have described, Marvin.

He had discovered a company that could read a persons retina so accurately and quickly, it could have been used for scanning passengers at plane, rail, bus, stations, without all this current fiasco that's been foisted on the American traveler. There's little doubt we are headed that direction. Only a matter of time.

Sadly, if Obama and the fools that keep him and his minions in their regime, many of the minds that are capable of inventing and manageing those futuristic ideas will be run off. Why bother? Like in Atlas Shrugged, where all the great minds left society to the SFN/OWS crowds of non-producers and watched as they continued to ruin what had been the greatest nation on earth. I have no desire to any longer stand in their way. They have only their pathetic selfish interests in mind, and will never ever realize they are at fault, while the anarchy takes over and is ruled by the most ignorant hordes ever assembled.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Here's a link to the full story: http://www.manufacturing.net/news/20...ing-technology

I find it interesting, but it does open up a can of worms.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Here's a link to the full story: http://www.manufacturing.net/news/20...ing-technology

I find it interesting, but it does open up a can of worms.
    Lainee, thanks for the link - the AP article gave the impression that the work was home grown - this says differently. I did know from the Hardrocker that the school was into a lot different stuff than when I attended. A BS in anything at that time was at the minimum 219 quarter hours with very few electives.

At that time 400 students starting the year, about 250 at the end, Physics was the big killer in the 2nd year if they got that far. The highest female enrollment at the time was 3 in the years I was there. That appears to have changed . I transferred after my 3rd year as the Dean of Students, a former Jr High Asst Principal & I did not see things the same. It was very different going into a student atmosphere (15,000 @ U of WA) where you were just a number & you had better keep that registration appointment if you wanted certain needed classes .

Marvin S