The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: older dog, dry and cracked nose?

I use this on my french bulldog (A breed known for cracked noses) and it works great!! http://www.theblissfuldog.com

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    Can you post a pic? Vitamin E squirted on it though works great.

Sue Puff
    OK Sue. I just slapped on some E at feeding so will shoot pic tomorrow when dried out some.
    It is curious as only 1/2 of nose is dry, split right down the middle.
    I''ll look into Corona, Balm and the hand lube.
    Since they lick off what ever you put on their nose I squeeze some of the sticky Vit E on a paw to keep them occupied for a bit while it soaks in.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Does it look like either of these?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Well yes Sue. Similar but differs slightly.
    Something tells me this isn't good.

Grazie

Could be Nasal Hyperkeratosis. Nothing serious. It's genetic. In Labs it is a simple recessive, so the parents needed to each have carried a copy of the gene. Keeping the nose moist is the key. Google it and you will find tons of info. It can show up as hard,crusty pads too.

In show lab lines we actually have a clue as to where it may be coming from. I wouldn't even know where to look in field lines. I assume its the same way in Goldens as they can have it too.

Friends that have had dogs with it have found the Vit E to work best as its not greasy like Bag Balm and Vaseline and its non toxic. Just put it on twice a day.

Here are some more pics: https://www.google.com/search?q=nasa...iw=768&bih=928

I wouldn't say it is common, but you do see it a lot in the short nosed breeds. Your vet might not know about it, but a quick call to a Vet Dermatologist will help him out. I have a bitch with affected siblings, so though its not high on my list of things to worry about, will not intentionally breed to lines that might have it. It's just another consideration.

It's not life threatening, just can be painful and a PITA to manage.

Hope that helps.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Thanks Sue, yes helpful.
    I asked two vets to look at it and they didn't have an answer.
    I'll read up on it and be more diligent using the Vit E often.
    This dog is 1/2 Irish and 1/2 British FT breeding I imported, never bred as eyes didn't cerf.
    Now that you mention it the pads get dry occasionally too. Pads started years ago and I would put Udder Butter on them.
    It showed up much later in life on the nose.
    Thanks again for the good info.
    Breck

Grazie

My dog started having the dry nose later in life I use Vitamin E , Vaseline and Corona and they all work pretty good as long as you use it regularly.

Dry cracked nose more involved than I thought.

Hereditary nasal parakeratosis has been noted in Labrador retrievers and crosses. An autosomal recessive mode of inheritance is suspected. Lesions are first noted between 6 and 12 months of age. They consisted of grayish or brownish adherent accumulations of dry and rough keratin. In more severe cases, fissures and erosions develop Some dogs experience depigmentation of the remaining nasal planum. The dermatitis does not appear to be exacerbated by UV light exposure. Histopathology shoes parakeratotic hyperkeratosis and a sub-basal lympho-plasmacytic infiltration within the superficial dermis. Zinc methionine, cephalexin, Vitamin A alcohol and topical tretinoin have failed to be of benefit. Improvement of the lesions was obtained with topical vitamin E, petrolatum and propylene glycol.
    Idiopathic nasal hyperkeratosis is most commonly noted in middle aged to older dogs with the Cocker spaniel being over represented. It has also been suggested that it is a senile change. It may be concurrently associated with pad hyperkeratosis. The nose becomes dry, rough and hyperkeratotic, especially on the dorsum of the nose. Fissures, erosions and ulcers are only occasionally noted. There is no depigmentation or inflammation. This is an important observation which helps to clinically differentiate the lupus or pemphigus group of diseases (which may also be hyperkeratotic). The diagnosis is generally made on a clinical basis. Therapeutic considerations include the daily topical administration of Kerasolv (DVM pharmaceuticals; salicylic acid, sodium lactate and urea in propylene glycol), Bag Balm or tretinoin gel (Retin-A;Ortho). Petrolatum may also be used. More rapid removal of the hyperkeratotic debris may be facilitated by pre-hydrating the planum (water compresses for 5-10 minutes) prior to application. Oral vitamin A may also be of benefit. Dosages are usually in the range of 8,000 to 20,000 Units BID. Although there is nothing "new" about this disease, it must be differentiated from a disease that not as well recognized by most - nasal hyperkeratosis associated with xeromycteria.

this vets web page contains some decent info on the nasal problem.
    Plus, in the lecture notes there is info on otitis externa treatment for those who struggle with atopy or chronic infections due to allergies.
    http://www.dcavm.org/05apr.html

Grazie

Coconut oil is a possibility. One or two tablespoons in his food. It is a natural anti-inflammatory and works great at softening rough patches. It can also be applied topically. Available in most grocery stores in the cooking oil section. Good luck!