The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How cold is to cold?

Default How cold is to cold?

Today is was 35-40 degrees and the creek is still iced over in places. My 14 week old pup decided she was gonna step off alittle to far and went under. Not my intention for this to happen. We headed straight back to the house and she seems fine.

But my question is, " How cold is to cold?" Water temp. and air temp? Should I be concerned that she may end up water shy?

She plays in the deep puddles in the back yard and had crossed the creek before, but never has she been so deep that she has gone under and had to swim back.

if she is doing it all on her own i wouldnt be worried. by no means throw the dummy in the water when it is that cold but if she is just playing around and gets wet no big deal
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve - Ace
    Foundation's Peanut Butter Cup - Reece

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

I would be more concerned that she will loose her fear of ice, fall through when you are not watching and drown. My rule is avoid ice at all times - right Connie.

True.. the area of the creek that we were near was not iced over. Thank you for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir View Post
    I would be more concerned that she will loose her fear of ice, fall through when you are not watching and drown. My rule is avoid ice at all times - right Connie.
    especially shelf ice !!!!
    Goldens Rule !!!

If you are looking for a number ....some say 50 water temp...I have never taken the water temp but I like the nights to be in the upper 40's for some time before I put them in ...young dogs ...old ones much sooner ....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by 150class View Post
    especially shelf ice !!!!
    "shelf ice".....two layers of ice with water between?
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec CDX MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

Ice left with no water supporting it because of fluctuating levels or tides. Some times the edege of ice on lakes, or the broken up ice that blows across to the other side is referd to as shelf ice too.
    Last edited by sick lids; 02-23-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyK View Post
    Today is was 35-40 degrees and the creek is still iced over in places. My 14 week old pup decided she was gonna step off alittle to far and went under. Not my intention for this to happen. We headed straight back to the house and she seems fine.
    But my question is, " How cold is to cold?" Water temp. and air temp? Should I be concerned that she may end up water shy?
    She plays in the deep puddles in the back yard and had crossed the creek before, but never has she been so deep that she has gone under and had to swim back.
    Sounds like you have a creek running through your back yard.
    I'm sure the little bugger go a shock when she went under.
    Most folks worry about training puppies in cold water because it adds to stress of training possibly causing a bad water attitude later. Coming out of water into frigid air isn't fun either.
    If after this dunking your puppy goes romping back into the creek of her own free will, and it is not dangerous, you may be OK who knows. Adventurous pup may not be phased by a little cold water later.

When you get to actually training puppy your water needs to be 65+. In Ohio that means late April or May.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I'm with Breck on this. Lardy recommends a minimum of 55 degrees but prefers in the 60+ range. Lardy wrote a RJ article on this subject.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired