RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

How cold is to cold?

5K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  steve schreiner 
#1 ·
Today is was 35-40 degrees and the creek is still iced over in places. My 14 week old pup decided she was gonna step off alittle to far and went under. Not my intention for this to happen. We headed straight back to the house and she seems fine.

But my question is, " How cold is to cold?" Water temp. and air temp? Should I be concerned that she may end up water shy?

She plays in the deep puddles in the back yard and had crossed the creek before, but never has she been so deep that she has gone under and had to swim back.

#2 ·
if she is doing it all on her own i wouldnt be worried. by no means throw the dummy in the water when it is that cold but if she is just playing around and gets wet no big deal

#6 ·
If you are looking for a number ....some say 50 water temp...I have never taken the water temp but I like the nights to be in the upper 40's for some time before I put them in ...young dogs ...old ones much sooner ....Steve S

#9 ·
Today is was 35-40 degrees and the creek is still iced over in places. My 14 week old pup decided she was gonna step off alittle to far and went under. Not my intention for this to happen. We headed straight back to the house and she seems fine.
But my question is, " How cold is to cold?" Water temp. and air temp? Should I be concerned that she may end up water shy?
She plays in the deep puddles in the back yard and had crossed the creek before, but never has she been so deep that she has gone under and had to swim back.
Sounds like you have a creek running through your back yard.
I'm sure the little bugger go a shock when she went under.
Most folks worry about training puppies in cold water because it adds to stress of training possibly causing a bad water attitude later. Coming out of water into frigid air isn't fun either.
If after this dunking your puppy goes romping back into the creek of her own free will, and it is not dangerous, you may be OK who knows. Adventurous pup may not be phased by a little cold water later.

When you get to actually training puppy your water needs to be 65+. In Ohio that means late April or May.

#10 ·
I'm with Breck on this. Lardy recommends a minimum of 55 degrees but prefers in the 60+ range. Lardy wrote a RJ article on this subject.

#17 ·
AmyK, The articles Chris pointed out are all correct but it was not the one I was thinking about. The article that I remember was "Improving Your Dog's Water Attitude" published in the Jan/Feb 2004 Retriever Journal.

If you would like a copy PM me your address and I will mail a copy to you. It is only 2 1/2 pages.

#18 ·
This makes me think of my friend and mentor in this game! Swinton would bring his water thermometer every single time we trained on water. Anything under 55* was verboten, and any over 85*! I sure miss those days sometimes!:D

#21 ·
Our training group in So. Ga. goes by the "rule of 120": combined water and ambient (air) temp of 120 degrees. Sunny day at 70 and water at 50-plus okay because how dogs feel after exiting water and drying out on a nice day with sun is important (my opinion).

Very important to keep in mind, even on older dogs when temps are lower...Steve S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.