The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bumper boy

Default bumper boy

I am looking at getting a couple bumper boys and I can not decided if I should get a 2 or 4 shooter. I only have 1 dog and I will not be getting another one for awhile. I meet up once maybe twice a week to train with a group. What do you guys think?

Get a 4 Shooter. You'll regret getting a 2 shooter even with one dog.
    Say with two shooter you fire a mark, dog has trouble and you need to fire another bumper or run mark again. When you go to shoot 2nd bumper you have a dud! There goes the lesson.
    If you had a 4 Shooter just fire off 3rd bumper and you're good to go. With 2 shooter you could be stuck.
    If possible get yourself two 4 Shooters and two wingers of some kind.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Why do (2) wingers and (2) bumper boy 4 shooters make the best combination?

Quote Originally Posted by logy View Post
    Why do (2) wingers and (2) bumper boy 4 shooters make the best combination?
    You can use birds in the wingers

I would consider getting the thunderbird five shooter, we five of them and love em. They run off of mapp gas, easy to reload.

Lots of reasons really.
    You need to run marks off multi guns so that means 3 or 4 of something.
    It's easy to load 2 BB's, 2 wingers, stickmen and other crap on a 4 wheeler.
    BB's are good for some things and wingers for others. Wingers are <1/2 cost of BB's.
    With bumper boys you just shoot bumpers or shoot bumpers to birds. You can also use the to dry pop for running blinds.
    With wingers you can throw birds, bumpers or use to make it easier to shoot flyers with one person.
    With a winger it's easier to tweak toss to land on a specific spot if needed. BB fall is more random.
    Throws look different between hand tossed, BB's and wingers. Dog needs to see it all I guess.
    Anyway I'd rather have 2 of each than 4 of one.

Grazie

I took 4 of 1.
    Compared to wingers BB's are easier to transport & 1/2 the reloading.
    I rarely repeat and with only 1-2 dogs at a time I have stayed with 2-shooters. About 7-8 yrs ago starting out with (2) 2 shooters (now about $200 more that (1) 4 shooter) I now have (4) 2 shooters for my weekday work by myself. With a group it is real throwers.
    IMHO for 1 dog 4 marks from the same gun has the least value.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

well, having never used 2 shooters and Tim does know what he's talking about, I guess it's boils down to personal preference and if you train with a group often.

Grazie

I'd go with two shooters. I guess it's possible you could throw a mark and need another and have a dud but it'd be rare. I started with 2 two shooters and now have 4. If you really want a 4 shooter you can set 2 two shooters at one station. Or put all 4 at the long gun station if you're training with a group for an 8 shooter.

I disagree that BB throws are random. It is one of their strengths. Use yellow loads, put PVC spacers over the barrels and the bumpers will land on top of each other. Precisely where you want them. Set the BB up at the "fall area." Shoot a bumper "backwards" to the gun station, then go set the BB up where the bumper lands. It will land just where you want it, just in the cover, just short of the cover, by that bush or in front of that tree, precisely as a human thrower.

I've heard plausible arguments against it, but we put ducks in the AOF and shoot the bumpers toward them. Dog sees a fall and gets a duck.

If you add a winger or two in the future you can plug them into the BB receiver and use the BB transmitter to control them, for the cost of a wiring harness. $10 the last time I bought one. Or add a receiver from BB dedicated to the winger and use the BB transmitter.

Wingers are cheaper than BBs until you add the price of the electronics to control them remotely.

People talk about using wingers and they do have their place but they are a pain to reload. We use them to simulate the flyer station, cause it's usually closest to the line. You need 1 or train with someone that has them. If you don't and they use one at a trial you are probably going to have a bad day.

One guy shooting a live flyer out of a winger is very hard. Maybe it's me but the bird always seems to "wake up" while you're waitng for the signal and starts moving around in the pouch. Once that head comes up it isn't long until they're out.
    Last edited by John Lash; 02-24-2013 at 12:02 AM.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

I have four two shooters. I like the versatility of the two shooters. You can do two doubles with four dogs, you can do a quad with two dogs or however you want to arrange them.

I also have four winger zingers.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired