The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: FT Goldens then and now =Barty?

Default FT Goldens then and now =Barty?

The Lab thread got me thinking of this. It seems most of the current great FT Goldens are closely or not too distantly descended from Holway Barty or Topbrass Cotton (son of Barty) on both sides.

Are current FC AFC Goldens that much different from Barty, the son of two English FTCH? I know English trial standards have changed as well as US standards, but the genes of Barty or Cotton can't be that much different from current FT Goldens. Or do you think they are? If not, perhaps we should help the breed pool on both sides of the pond by breeding US to UK.

Thoughts? Reflections on current FT Goldens vs Past?
    Last edited by Jennifer Henion; 02-23-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Someone must have imported again since?
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.

Holway Stubbledown Jolly was a import in the late 1950's owned by Tom Lucas. He was a trial dog. I bredto his son Jolly Again of ouimette he was a field trial dog. I then had a Barty bitch bred four times . Her field line went back to the old Stilrovin lines. In recent years there have been other attempts from across the pond, none have really took? There are some very knowledgable folks that frequent this forum you might bring them forth with this thread! It's got potential to over shadow those black rascals!
    Last edited by Criquetpas; 02-23-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    Earl Dillow

Good stuff, Earl!
    John Baitinger

Would be great reading.. Hope this thread does take off! Agree, great post, Earl

Judy
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

Jennifer.I`m gonna post some pics soon.Dad ran a golden back in the early 70`sFC,Bonnybrookes tuff and a half....this little guy was only about 45 lbs and a ball of fire and not tuff like all the good ones were back then.Some of the older guys know what I mean by tuff.I`ll get his pedigree also.He also won the Gold Whistle in canada being I believe the first golden to do that.When he was runing Andy (call name) the flood gates opened up and we were loaded up with goldens for a while,but never had anything like him. Jim

I had a Barty grandson that I wanted to trial. He was a handful but an obedience class favorite. I do have flattering photos that I will try to post. Unfortunately, certain domestic issues prevented me from entering the field trial world. (Several understand, I'm sure.) A lot of dog with a lot of go. Since then that is all that I want.

My dog,Twin Branch Bayside Dasher, call name Dasher.
    Last edited by gdgnyc; 02-24-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Added dog
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Jennifer.I`m gonna post some pics soon.Dad ran a golden back in the early 70`sFC,Bonnybrookes tuff and a half....this little guy was only about 45 lbs and a ball of fire and not tuff like all the good ones were back then.Some of the older guys know what I mean by tuff.I`ll get his pedigree also.He also won the Gold Whistle in canada being I believe the first golden to do that.When he was runing Andy (call name) the flood gates opened up and we were loaded up with goldens for a while,but never had anything like him. Jim
    Jolly again of Ouillmette call name was Tuffy..Bonnie Brooks was Dick Kerns kennel name trained with him often. There are a number of very talented dogs from that line. It is a English line bred off of Tuffy, pre Barty. There was some HD in those lines too. Now get Wayne Anderson involved with the Minnesota Mafia bunch, he is on this forum along with Mickey Strandberg and the Midwest Goldens history will come out of the closet. Wayne and Mickey quit lurking!
    Earl Dillow

Dick Kerns!!!Yea......man Earl you and Bon are in a class of your own on pedigrees!! Jim

Get the Canuckiller going too! Lots of old Golden folk need to be outed from the Midwest. Many started in Goldens and now are just remembered by the black rascals (and don't mean River Oaks Rascal or Rays Rascal). This where it all started, Barrington iilinois, Wadsworth, Illinois, Tri State in Minnesota, Wisconsin Amateur, St. Louis,Mo., somemof the oldest clubs in the country, often dominated by Great Goldens. Frisbie, Weber, Dick Sampson, Billy Voight, Jim's dad from the Ohio crew, lets here it from the Midwest Mecca.
    Earl Dillow