The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Results 171 to 175 of 175

Thread: FT Goldens then and now =Barty?

  1. #171
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pontotoc Ms.
    Posts
    495

    Default

    i dont know sh!?t about golden history but i know a great dog when i see one, why isnt jake mentioned ?

  2. #172
    Senior Member Brad Turner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    539

    Default

    IMO Jake has proven himself as a producer, for sure. BTW, Jake was the test dog for the first series of the specialty derby in 2011 (John ending up having to judge). He might have been a little underwhelmed by that double

    Didn't your daughter run him John?
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

    "Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

  3. #173
    Senior Member Bait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Gibbstown, N.J.
    Posts
    1,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kip View Post
    i dont know sh!?t about golden history but i know a great dog when i see one, why isnt jake mentioned ?
    Right you are, Kippy! I guess cuz it was, for many pages, about the history, like you said. But, now that it has progressed into including present day, and some possible comparisons of present day matches and "back in the day" matches, and including some really nice goldens of today, We gotta mention Big Red. (Those close to him call him "the big red dog", I call him Big Red for short. The horse people out there will know why. ) Jakey boy is one of those dogs they will be talking about for many years, as one of those, not only special Goldens, but special "retrievers" that happened to be a Golden. And definately has made an impact on the Golden retriever world.
    He is definately a great dog. I've even heard folks that have seen him run say things like," He has the water skills of a Lab." or "He thinks he's a Lab." Well, I'll have to only partially agree. And, I understand these comments are just made in fun, and are sincere compliments. But, Jakey doesn't think he's anything besides a part of John & Andy's families. And yes he has the skills of the best of any breed. He's one of the great ones.
    Last edited by Bait; 03-04-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    John Baitinger

  4. #174
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Eureka Mo
    Posts
    1,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Turner View Post
    IMO Jake has proven himself as a producer, for sure. BTW, Jake was the test dog for the first series of the specialty derby in 2011 (John ending up having to judge). He might have been a little underwhelmed by that double

    Didn't your daughter run him John?
    Good memory Brad! Jake will run for anyone.

    My daughter first ran Jake when he was a 2 year old fresh out of his Derby career. My daughter Mary was only 3. They were great in the land series and nailed the water double with a flyer. I forgot he had to honor in that series. He had not been taught that yet. It was too much for them and he had a controlled break. I've got the video of it somewhere. Love watching him run pre-injury. Gives me goosebumps....and tears.

    Thanks guys for including Jake.

    He's our once in a lifetime dog. Lucy might be our 2nd. Don't know how much luck a couple of guys with day jobs can have, but we are very thankful for our good fortunes and thankful for all of the support over the years. So much from friends that normally prefer other breeds!

  5. #175
    Senior Member Diane Brunelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Wells, ME
    Posts
    1,072

    Default Tears of joy

    Quote Originally Posted by John Gassner View Post
    Good memory Brad! Jake will run for anyone.

    My daughter first ran Jake when he was a 2 year old fresh out of his Derby career. My daughter Mary was only 3. They were great in the land series and nailed the water double with a flyer. I forgot he had to honor in that series. He had not been taught that yet. It was too much for them and he had a controlled break. I've got the video of it somewhere. Love watching him run pre-injury. Gives me goosebumps....and tears.

    Thanks guys for including Jake.

    He's our once in a lifetime dog. Lucy might be our 2nd. Don't know how much luck a couple of guys with day jobs can have, but we are very thankful for our good fortunes and thankful for all of the support over the years. So much from friends that normally prefer other breeds!
    Now you have me in tears,John! The thought of your 3 year old running a 2 year old Jake is unimaginable! That must have been one sweet day in your book. As you know, I have a Jake boy and have been thrilled with him.....never a sweeter, more biddable dog could exist. He does run like Jake, though and I live in fear that he will injure himself one day. His drive for the bird just overcomes any caution that other dogs may have. I am so glad Jake has been acknowledged as one of the greats.....he has some awesome pups out there, with lots of his drive and talent.....I am lucky to have two of them
    Diane
    Max, Maggie, Houston & (Orion)
    Avatar courtesy of Marsha Wilcox Photography

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •