The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: FT Goldens then and now =Barty?

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    If you go far enough back it gets real interesting, Gunnerman, Stilrovin then back to Speedwall Pluto and across the pond.
    Oh!..will look, take more notice of Gunnerman.. Love the Stilrovin...Pluto ....
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***(All-Breed AM 2nd)
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

If you get the Golden Retriever News and check back through the last few years, there have been articles on some of the field Goldens from England, and in Sept/Oct 09 one on Holway and June Atkinson; more in N/D '10; in S/O '11 one on Ann Fowler and it gives some information about early Goldens D.L. really liked. In N/D '11 there is a write up on The Tigathoe Four with more info on Quar. 2012 has had a variety of articles on early Goldens including some of Torch's as well as in Sept/Oct on Ripp owned by Bill Connor. More are planned for 2013.

If anyone has old photos or information on some of the well known early Goldens, I would love to have you write me about it privately. I am working on some right at the moment and love to get additional data---especially personal knowledge about some of those wonderful Goldens.

A personal note---when I started trials, for some reason I seemed to always be #1 in the line up--no rotation and a "draw" was done. I remember asking Betty Wilkinson if she would mind holding Luke in the blind so I could watch the test dog run. She said "does he bite?"---- I thought she was kidding, then realized she wasn't. I had never seen or been around a Golden that bit. Later I saw a couple of the early ones being trained, and if I had been trained with the methods they were, I would have bitten as well! The same with some of the Labs----the brighter they were, it seemed the more they resented unfairness. I grew up riding, training and competing with horses, so was not naive about variations in training methods and philosophies. As training methods for retrievers evolved and progressed, many dogs who would have been washed out went on to have outstanding careers.

Glenda

[QUOTE=Judy Chute;1073580]
    Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post

Topbrass...is that dog on K9Data?
    Judy,topbrass was a kennel name of???? Jackie Mertens??? Bon where are you........

Glenda, thanks for noting the specific issues of GR News that would be of interest. Some time ago, I thought of purchasing the last few years worth, but then realized how expensive that would be. Having an idea of which to buy is helpful.

I hope Bon and Earl and JD will dig out some photos and stories for you to work with! Love your articles and sharing. And your insight about why the early dogs would bite! Makes sense to me!

As for the question of whether today's dogs are any different from those in UK, and whether outcrossing to their FT dogs would be beneficial - I guess Judy, Glenda and myself will have to make a trip over there for an indepth analysis!!! Anyone else want to tag along? Wouldn't that be so fun?! First round at the pub is on me!

[QUOTE=jd6400;1073583]
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Chute View Post

Judy,topbrass was a kennel name of???? Jackie Mertens??? Bon where are you........
    You guys have a good informational source with Glenda if not the best . Use it wisely. Gave up my GRCA long ago and her accomplishments are well documented! Topbrass Jackie Mertens formerly of Elgin, Illinois, might have a name change now Linden Strandberg another prominent trialer.
    Earl Dillow

I bred twice to Nancy Miner's "Buddy" and twice to Harold Bruniga's Sangamo Red. The time I spent at the kitchen table with both people is remembered fondly.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Let's not rehash or visit boot, shoot electrocute , yeah it existed and I am ashamed to have been part of it. Talk about the old dogs and their accomplishments. Thank you.
    Earl Dillow

[QUOTE=jd6400;1073583]
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Chute View Post

Yes, it is, Topbrass..Jackie...

Here is the link to her website:

http://www.topbrass-retrievers.com/history.htm

You can move around there obviously, but thought to put you right on the ...great old Goldens page You might find your Dad's Topbrass Golden there.. I looked, but not quite finding the right dog.
    Last edited by Judy Chute; 02-24-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***(All-Breed AM 2nd)
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

Glenda,

A thought ... has anyone suggested to GRCA that they bundle the articles they have published in the past on the kennels, the breeders, and the Goldens of the past into one publication and market it? I think it would sell and could easily be Volume I of a series -- "The History of the Golden Retriever in America". Even with that title, it could include the early kennels, dogs, and breeders in England and elsewhere.

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    Glenda,

A thought ... has anyone suggested to GRCA that they bundle the articles they have published in the past on the kennels, the breeders, and the Goldens of the past into one publication and market it? I think it would sell and could easily be Volume I of a series -- "The History of the Golden Retriever in America". Even with that title, it could include the early kennels, dogs, and breeders in England and elsewhere.

Helen
    Great idea! I would pay for it.