RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

.209 primers back in stock

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  davewolfe 
#1 ·
Dogs Afield has my primers on backorder for about 2 weeks . The charge just showed up on the account , and I see on their website it is an in stock item . Paid $49 for a thousand at a gunshow ,Dogs Afield at $40.95 including shipping charge.Now if I could just find .308 for my deer rifle regards.......

#3 · (Edited)
Previously there was a post of a very low price for 1000 primers that were made in Russia. I don't know if this is them or not. My memory may not serve me correctly but I think you had to buy a bunch of them to get this low price.

Again, my memory is not what it used to be.

The period in front of the 209 got me to wondering. What does the 209 mean? I have been buying these primers forever but if I ever knew what the 209 meant, I have forgotten.

#4 · (Edited)
Wayne.

209 now adays has NOTHING to do with measure outside diameter.
209 primers actually measur APPROXIMATLY .243 -.244 orso.

What the .209 referres to is the diameter of the "batter Cup" inside the primer.
You use to be able to buy a tool from Herters to make your own primer cups out of beer cans and put in a "cap" and reinstall it in the battery cup.
Those caps were toxic and corrosive

A Long LONG time ago, you could actually reload your PRIMERS.
That tool was made for a .209 diameter battery cup. The battery cup measures .209

If you take apart a FIRED 209 Primer,, you will find the battery cup measures Approx 209 thousanths in diameter. or .209

Gooser

#5 ·
I got a machinist friend to make me some inserts to allow me to use .209 primers in a .32 revolver. We were surprised when we measured the O.D. and saw they weren't .209.

#8 ·
I recently bought some Federal primers and they come out of the wingers easy also.

#10 ·
.209 dia is the size of the o.d. of a standard large pistol and rifle primer. Back in the day when shot gun shell were made out of brass they didn't have the extra outside flange on the primer, which also make them .209 dia. Thats my theory. There are all lot of things in shooting world that doesn't make since.

#12 ·
Chedittes typically work very good in a "primer pistol." They don't mushroom out the back jamming the revolver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.