The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A perfect shot and two gentlemen

Default A perfect shot and two gentlemen

I can't stand them. I mean braggarts. I find them arrogant and obnoxious. But today I become one. (We frequently become that which we hate.)

Yesterday I made a perfect shot. Broadbill, Joey Clams, and I did a preserve hunt. Duck season is over and now is a good time. We had a mix of chukars and pheasants.

We entered a small field and Buffy was quartering the field. She flushed a chukar that presented a left to right quartering shot, maybe a quartering crosser. Heavily wooded background on an overcast day made the target (bird) difficult to see. I picked up the bird, swung through, got the correct lead and dropped the bird probably at 30-35 yards. It was in the center of my pattern and fell dead as a doornail. Perfect form on my part---smooth and done without any rush. I am right handed and this is a most difficult shot to make. I said nothing to my partners but through my eyes I saw perfection.

My second brag is that I have two friends that are great and I will hunt with them anytime. Joey's first time in the uplands and he was a perfect gentlemen. He got with the plan, helped pin a running pheasant, forcing it into some brush and waited until Broadbill could handle his Boykin , Rebel, into the brush to flush the bird, followed by Joey's patient shot which killed the bird. And Broadbill is great to hunt with. He's not a game hog and he never claims to have dropped the bird when there are multiple shots. And he refrained from telling me "I told you so" when I insisted on something but later had to admit I was wrong and he was right.

I would like to hear about any other brags from the field---shooting, use of a particular gun, hunting partners, game birds, dog work. Today I welcome all brags.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I am on a ammo convservation kick! Its just getting to hard to find..

My Brag, Is I spent this whole season in the field,, and never fired a shot!!

Perty impressive, I'd say!!

Pround conservative regards,

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Gooser, you are whack as they say around here. Your contribution to prevention of lead contamination and littering is greatly appreciated, I'm sure.

Let me know when you are out this way. You will be my guest at the only trap range in NYC. And you will be treated to Miguel's fine Italain cuisine.

I was shooting my O/U on a flooded bean field hunt late this season. We had been slow for an hour, and out of nowhere a group of 10-12 green wing teal buzzed over. You know what they are immediately by the f-16 like sound that comes rushing over the trees. They made one pass and we called the shot on pass 2, which wound up being left to right (much easier than your shot). The three of us each dropped 1 bird right over the decoys. I shot the first bird in the group, and I immediately began looking for a second shot on the bead. I pulled the trigger with about 2" of clear sky between my barrel and the bird, some 60+ yards out. When it fell, I embarrassingly let out a "OH YES!!"

Now, that's not the brag. The brag was definitely on the retriever. My long bird was crippled, about 2 o'clock out 95 or so yards. At our 12 o'clock were 2 teal dead in the decoys. At 2:30 o'clock was another, dead. Obviously, I'm really hoping that my poison bird training is about to pay off. Maggie definitely did not mark the last bird, as she has already marked the triple and was lined up on the go-bird. I lined her up, send her for the cripple. I had to single whistle about 30 yards out, as her head swung to the bird just 15 feet to her right. I sent her back and she stepped on the crippled teal, "flushing" it on accident from the cover. Then she came back and picked up the triple without a hitch.

That was one of my favorite duck hunting moments with my dogs. Lots of high-fives passed around afterward.
    -Barton Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Bartona500 View Post
    I was shooting my O/U on a flooded bean field hunt late this season. We had been slow for an hour, and out of nowhere a group of 10-12 green wing teal buzzed over. You know what they are immediately by the f-16 like sound that comes rushing over the trees. They made one pass and we called the shot on pass 2, which wound up being left to right (much easier than your shot). The three of us each dropped 1 bird right over the decoys. I shot the first bird in the group, and I immediately began looking for a second shot on the bead. I pulled the trigger with about 2" of clear sky between my barrel and the bird, some 60+ yards out. When it fell, I embarrassingly let out a "OH YES!!"

Now, that's not the brag. The brag was definitely on the retriever. My long bird was crippled, about 2 o'clock out 95 or so yards. At our 12 o'clock were 2 teal dead in the decoys. At 2:30 o'clock was another, dead. Obviously, I'm really hoping that my poison bird training is about to pay off. Maggie definitely did not mark the last bird, as she has already marked the triple and was lined up on the go-bird. I lined her up, send her for the cripple. I had to single whistle about 30 yards out, as her head swung to the bird just 15 feet to her right. I sent her back and she stepped on the crippled teal, "flushing" it on accident from the cover. Then she came back and picked up the triple without a hitch.

That was one of my favorite duck hunting moments with my dogs. Lots of high-fives passed around afterward.
    Really awesome! Lots to brag about there!

in the spring of 2000 I was in the process of moving from Austin Tx back to Las Vegas after a short 6 month employment with Omni hotels drove me to the poor house. my oldest brother Ely offered to take me on a spring turkey hunt the day before I left town...loaded up the truck, donned the full camo and headed to a friends ranch in Kyle Tx just south of town..

Now I consider myself a good/above average turkey caller, using a diaphragm mouth call, but on this day the birds must have thought I was Pavarotti,because I had no less than 4 gobblers respond at first light, and along they came at full struts headed straight for my decoy. I was using an old JC Higgins/Ted Williams 12 gauge pump that had been passed down from oldest to youngest brother and back to oldest brother for keepsakes

Out of nowhere a young hen turkey starts calling from behind me and shows up less than twenty yards behind where my brother and I are hidden next to a couple of cedar trees, now I am stuck because if the hen spots us and sounds an alarm the toms would be gone, well she and I get involved in a calling competition, so I mimicked every call she made..

Well here come the toms, struttin and puffing their chests..I picked out the biggest and closest tom and gave him a 2 3/4 in Bismuth #4, but just as I shot one of the other toms decided to strut right behind him..dropped both with ONE shot at 22 steps..it may not be the best shot but it was the luckiest
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I shoot chukar almost every day...I only put one shell in the Ruger anymore.....
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    I shoot chukar almost every day...I only put one shell in the Ruger anymore.....
    I always thought the top barrel was where you keep the Chapstick. You mean sometimes people shoot twice?!?
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Flint View Post

I always thought the top barrel was where you keep the Chapstick. You mean sometimes people shoot twice?!?
    OK, you've got bragging rights and compliments! You must be terrific shots.

I have never missed a shot on the Internet.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River