The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A perfect shot and two gentlemen

When I first started I used to bragg about how many boxes of shells it took to get 1 bird....Good shots no, but maxium fun for sure.

Ok, I am going to brag on my 90 year old husband. Last week we were shooting late season quail on a friend's plantation. Though still an excellent shot, walking over rough ground is challenging for him and he has not shot many quail this season. One of the pointers pointed up ahead, backed by his bracemate. We both got down and slowly approached with the dog handler. Both of us were shooting the requisite double barreled guns. A beautiful covey rise ensued, with 20 plus birds departing in haste and en masse. Four shots were fired and the dog man said he saw two birds fall. I thought to myself, well, I killed two birds so I guess my husband missed. Little did I know that he was thinking the same thing. The dogman headed out and picked up two birds, and then a third. Sure that he had not picked up my first bird, I encouraged him to keep looking. He called for reinforcements, and the little cocker rocketed off the wagon and began hunting the area of the fall like a whirling dervish. Sure enough she came up with the fourth bird. Our host termed it the first "marital double " he had witnessed and opined that it was a good thing we had found all the birds or we might have had some marital discord. Too true! It made my day for my husband to make that double. Now, he is gearing up for the turkey season.

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    OK, you've got bragging rights and compliments! You must be terrific shots.
    I truly am pretty good on chuckies ,we buy them 300 at a time..... but I can't hit a wild duck ....at least not very often.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

OK my brag is that Boradbill's Rebel is off my dog Chief. Great to hear he is doing good. Tell Broadbill hey.
    GRHRCH UH Saint Thomas Chief MHR
    First & Only Boykin to Pass The Master Nationals
    HRC 2500 Points Club
    2010 & 2014 BSS National Open Champion

South Dakota this year I absolutely smoked a goose flying from my back left shoulder in a 30 - 40 mph tail wind. I was amazed I even hit it. My reluctant water dog then proceeds to make an awesome big water retrieve with the bird drifting away with the wind. the retrieve had to be over 150 yds in the water. Awesome to see her make retrieves like that especially because she only likes it if the water is like a bathtub.

So I am not one to brag about my own dog, and would tell this story if it was anybody else's dog just the same....

So my pup happened to be about 10 months old when we were hunting a snow covered field over christmas break. The goose hunting was just starting to get good. We had 2 parties of 4 hunting in two different spots, about 400 yards away from one another (this often gets very interesting, haha, and always makes for several good stories). So to set the scene, it was the typical winter hunt in a cut corn field; layout blinds, a couple inches of snow, and a nice cold wind. We needed 4 more geese to fulfill our limit. So, here comes a 6 pack, locked up into the decoys of the other party. Haha, as I said before, many stories are made when multiple parties hunt one field...the other group forgot their goose flag, so as the birds are about 70 yards away from the other party, my buddy sits up in his blind and starts flagging the birds...they flare and start coming into us (crap move, I know). Well, to make a long story short, we dropped three birds in the decoys, and the last bird shot sailed about 200 yards.

So at 10 months, I had not yet been running blinds with my dog (also my first dog, so I really had retriever fever!), but was working FTP, lining drills, casting drills, etc. I lined him up and sent him on the blind retrieve after the cripple. To my suprise, he took a great line toward the cripple and didnt get pulled by the geese that he had seen fall down. He held his line for about 100 yards. I had to run a sit whistle/back cast twice to get him even with the goose (no angle backs yet, which would have been helpful then), and when I sat him at the level of the goose, it stood up and started to run. Not sure what else to do, I gave him an over cast toward the goose. Scout took off after him, but by the time he was close, the goose was already about 5 foot in the air. As we all just about lost hope and thought the cripple was going to get away, Scout jumped up and snagged the bird out of the air, brought him back, and finished retrieving the others that had went down in the decoys.

I have never seen anything that cool from a dog during a hunt, and was so proud of him dog that day. It is awesome to hear that story get brought up by my buddies, especially the ones that were hunting in the other group. Although the story grows each time, as most hunting and fishing stories do, I cant help but grin from ear to ear because of what Scout did that day.

I wish I could have had a picture of that; it would have been a great one to post in the thread "can drive be photographed?"

Thanks for letting me share!
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

This winter I was duck hunting it was really windy and the ducks weren't flying much so I had to make every shot count to get my limit. I was siting there when I saw a blue wing teal coming in low straight at me it was flying at mach 1 so by the time I saw it it was on me and I didn't have time to stand up I pulled my gun up and swung on it as it came by when I pulled the trigger it was only about 10 feet off my barrel. After I shot I heard the thud of the bird hitting my canoe which was a little ways behind me. All I could think of was I shouldn't have shot it that close and that it was most likely blown to pieces. When I went over to my canoe it was flopping around squirting blood everywhere I had shot it's head clean off and didn't put a pellet in the body. That wasn't a good shot that was a lucky shot.
    Last edited by Scott Parker; 02-24-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

Quote Originally Posted by awclark View Post
    Ok, I am going to brag on my 90 year old husband. Last week we were shooting late season quail on a friend's plantation. Though still an excellent shot, walking over rough ground is challenging for him and he has not shot many quail this season. One of the pointers pointed up ahead, backed by his bracemate. We both got down and slowly approached with the dog handler. Both of us were shooting the requisite double barreled guns. A beautiful covey rise ensued, with 20 plus birds departing in haste and en masse. Four shots were fired and the dog man said he saw two birds fall. I thought to myself, well, I killed two birds so I guess my husband missed. Little did I know that he was thinking the same thing. The dogman headed out and picked up two birds, and then a third. Sure that he had not picked up my first bird, I encouraged him to keep looking. He called for reinforcements, and the little cocker rocketed off the wagon and began hunting the area of the fall like a whirling dervish. Sure enough she came up with the fourth bird. Our host termed it the first "marital double " he had witnessed and opined that it was a good thing we had found all the birds or we might have had some marital discord. Too true! It made my day for my husband to make that double. Now, he is gearing up for the turkey season.
    Andrea, this story is "off topic"! It is NOT a brag when a 90 year old is out in the field and hitting what he shoots at. It is AWESOME!!!!! I loved this.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by awclark View Post
    AW.......a very cool story...congrats to you and the hubby!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)
    Good Idea's The Cutting Edge- "Edge" 9/29/2014 (Grady x Good Idea's Touch of Class)

I snuck up on and caught a Canada goose while hunting, it was a juvie that flew in and when it landed, it layed down by one of our decoys. I have witnesses but no pics
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX