The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Older Silver Labs

Default Older Silver Labs

Seeing the Silver Lab & AKC thread reminded me of a conversation I had with my vet. He asked me if I had ever seen an older silver lab, to which I had to answer no. So my question is does anyone here own or have knowledge of a silver lab say over the age of six years old?
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    Seeing the Silver Lab & AKC thread reminded me of a conversation I had with my vet. He asked me if I had ever seen an older silver lab, to which I had to answer no. So my question is does anyone here own or have knowledge of a silver lab say over the age of six years old?
    I have a lab that is over 6 yrs old. He is black, but becoming more silver with each passing year

My sister has one that's 12, but she was a rescue from her neighbors who tired of her at 4 mos. and were going to take her to the pound. She was told she had papers and was a purebred Lab, but my sister never got them and never registered her. However....she likes the dog so much she bought a silver Lab from a "breeder" a year ago and the poor thing probably won't make it to 3 or 4, it's so dysplastic it can barely walk and has a host of other ailments, too. (No she did not tell me she was buying one til after the fact!)
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Well, I know of one that is about 6.5, but I wouldn't call that old. He is behind a couple silver and dilute carrier dogs that were at a hunt test in Idaho I went to, remarkably enough he has a couple titles, but being bred with no clearances

I have a client with one, shes a "charcoal" lab. Looks like my blacks when they roll in the dirt. Shes about 8 or 9 now I think. Very healthy, and no issues. I actually really like her- one of my favorite visitors here. Hes almost ready for another pup andI reccomended he get one either from myself of someone I can reccomend to him. But he wants one of her color..... sigh..... I think, FWIW there are some people that do the health tests on their stock. I think, actually theres someone on here that does. ?
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by AllAroundLab View Post
    Well, I know of one that is about 6.5, but I wouldn't call that old. He is behind a couple silver and dilute carrier dogs that were at a hunt test in Idaho I went to, remarkably enough he has a couple titles, but being bred with no clearances
    To me 6.5 years old isnt old either, I just havent seen any silver labs other than very young ones (under the age of 2). My understanding is that many die at a much younger age. Though I do question if it is mostly being caused by poor breeding practices.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE