The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids and dogs

Default Kids and dogs

Getting a pup from a very good pedigree soon, and will train it for hunting and hunt tests. And I'm also getting married soon and fiancÚ has a 2 year old little boy. He's awesome and loves my older (already pretty well trained) dogs. This will be my first experience raising a new pup along with a little boy. I've read all the pros and know that consistency is paramount. I'm more interested in hearing personal experiences from people here who raise and train dogs incorporating kids as well. I want him to be involved, to the extent a 2 year old can be involved, but I don't want to hinder the training process. Any advice or tips?

How much time do you have? My son Gray has had a black lab in his life from the day he was born. When he was 2 his training consisted of teaching my geriatric duck dog what dinner time meant. Diva ate as much toddler food as Gray and kept the kitchen floor clean. Diva was a semi retired duck dog at that point in her life and took on the role of baby sitter/watcher.

With a two year old all puppy interaction needs to be supervised. Although pulling ears and tails may sound fun to your toddler, the pup will not appreciate it. A reactive snap can cause your child to fear dogs and your pup can end up afraid of children. As far as training, a two year old will not get very involved. Supervise and make sure the pup is properly socialized. A noisy child is great for proofing any obedience and providing distractions. Not good for initial learning.

Gray is now 10 and there have been 8 labs rotate out of my kennels. He can now run cold blinds, work obedience and understands when and how to apply corrections. He can also still distract labs like no other.

Enjoy the ride and if you have any pointed questions feel free to ask
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    How much time do you have? My son Gray has had a black lab in his life from the day he was born. When he was 2 his training consisted of teaching my geriatric duck dog what dinner time meant. Diva ate as much toddler food as Gray and kept the kitchen floor clean. Diva was a semi retired duck dog at that point in her life and took on the role of baby sitter/watcher.

With a two year old all puppy interaction needs to be supervised. Although pulling ears and tails may sound fun to your toddler, the pup will not appreciate it. A reactive snap can cause your child to fear dogs and your pup can end up afraid of children. As far as training, a two year old will not get very involved. Supervise and make sure the pup is properly socialized. A noisy child is great for proofing any obedience and providing distractions. Not good for initial learning.

Gray is now 10 and there have been 8 labs rotate out of my kennels. He can now run cold blinds, work obedience and understands when and how to apply corrections. He can also still distract labs like no other.

Enjoy the ride and if you have any pointed questions feel free to ask
    I have ample time for training, pretty much everyday. I suppose including the boy during "fun time" is what I had better stick to, and leave the training to other times. Socializing and using kids as distractions is also important I know, so I guess I'll just experience that as it comes and use it as an opportunity. Both pup and son need to learn how to coexist. Just wanted to know if this hindered anyone's training, or if it actually helped.

I have a 8 month old pup (and some older dogs). I have a 3 (turning 4 in April) son. I would describe their relationship somwhat like Arliss and Ole Yeller! Which is absolutely fine by me! I watched him pretty close when he was younger, but my son wrestles and works him over pretty good now. I just make sure he doesn't mess with him while he's eating or sound asleep. He's WELL socialized and they are buddies, but he is still very much MY dog, and will come running when he needs a break, and usually sleeps under my feet wherever I am.

A 3 year old with a cap shotgun, twirling a bumper is good SIT distraction work, but other than that, don't expect too much!
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

My children work well with the dog. The only thing I have required of them is that they dont try to do marks with the dog without me around. I found out early they will try to do whatever you do. But, they would not do it quite right and my concern was confusing the dog as our dog is still a pup and learning. I do make them work with the dog on obedience. I think this actually helps as the dog learns that he is expected to listen regardless of who is giving the commands. This also ensures they will use the proper command for what they want the dog to do. With yours being two years old, a lot of this will not apply right now. With a child of that age, you will have to quickly teach the dog not to jump up on him (or anyone). That may be the most challenging thing to do early on.

My 21/2 yr old daughter loves her new pup.Pup is about to be 11 wks and she actually started helping raise my nephews.training not to jump and nibble on her is very important as the pups nail and teeth are very sharp.My daughter and her pup have one speed and thats 100!She will actually walk out and throw a mark when I tell her the problem is she will also call the dog back to her!Other then that she has to go out everyday she can and help feed and water which is all over her as well.The prayers for her pups at night are never forgotten and she know as stated no messing with pup while eating or sleeping.I would not raise her any other way.
    FC AFC Slider/Junie

Thanks everyone. I suppose I'm a little more nervous about a 2 year old than I am a pup...lol. He loves my dogs already, and I don't wanna sour him to being around the dogs, because they're such a big part of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by jb504079 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I suppose I'm a little more nervous about a 2 year old than I am a pup...lol. He loves my dogs already, and I don't wanna sour him to being around the dogs, because they're such a big part of my life.
    Don't sweat the small things. Your boy will love the pup and the pup will love the boy. When the pup is under the kitchen table eating the Cheerios remember I told you so. Then go to Tractor Supply and order some kennel runs before your wife has a come apart. Outside kennel runs work better than marriage counseling.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    Don't sweat the small things. Your boy will love the pup and the pup will love the boy. When the pup is under the kitchen table eating the Cheerios remember I told you so. Then go to Tractor Supply and order some kennel runs before your wife has a come apart. Outside kennel runs work better than marriage counseling.
    lol....I've already designed the kennels for the new house.

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Fishduck, your son runs a GREAT test dog too.......... Remember him well from North Alabama last fall.....
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com