The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 95

Thread: limit on master test

  1. #1
    Senior Member j towne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    910

    Default limit on master test

    I was just looking at Entry Express and the test with limits are filling up quick.
    Maryland Retriever club's June 1st test in Delware is already filled up.
    Susqhuehanna Retriever Club on May 19 is 8 short of their limit.
    Rappahannock River Retriever Club's test in April already filled its double master with its 60 entries in each.

    The days of waiting around are over if the club has a limit.

  2. #2
    Senior Member DarrinGreene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Souf Joisy
    Posts
    2,785

    Default

    I can't wait to see how this is gonna play out, both for the clubs, when the scratches come in... and for the dog works, when all those not ready run anyhow because they already paid.

    Pinelands is gonna run May 4-5 if you want to come up Nick. 2 masters of 60, hasn't opened yet on EE. Nice affair, lunch on Saturday, continental breakfast both mornings, I think... Good raffle for a 55" TV too.
    Darrin Greene

  3. #3
    Senior Member j towne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    910

    Default

    Darrin I love running at Pinelands great club and the nicest bunch of people. You can gain 10 lbs running there with all the food they have at the club house. I donated a hunt last year to their raffle and Roger Everett won. I donated a hunt again this year. If I lived closer I would defiantly join the club. I doubt I will be running any test this year. I have a young pup I am going to try derbies with and go straight to master when she is ready and my other 2 are already MH's I will be running them in Q's.

    Can't you scratch before the close and get all your money back without a vet note.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    I'm just wondering how the limits will play out. Just a "what if" scenario.... "what if" a bunch of volunteers don't get in because an extra Pro Truck or two with 20 dogs shows and fills entries? Are the volunteers who'd normally be running dogs going to still show up and work to put on a hunt test?

    It's supposed to make tests easier for a volunteer based club although, I can see it backfiring at some point.

  5. #5
    Senior Member j towne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I'm just wondering how the limits will play out. Just a "what if" scenario.... "what if" a bunch of volunteers don't get in because an extra Pro Truck or two with 20 dogs shows and fills entries? Are the volunteers who'd normally be running dogs going to still show up and work to put on a hunt test?

    It's supposed to make tests easier for a volunteer based club although, I can see it backfiring at some point.
    Good point. But someone will step up and help. I know I usually end up throwing birds when I am running.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Oakdale,ct.
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    I can't wait to see how this is gonna play out, both for the clubs, when the scratches come in... and for the dog works, when all those not ready run anyhow because they already paid.

    Pinelands is gonna run May 4-5 if you want to come up Nick. 2 masters of 60, hasn't opened yet on EE. Nice affair, lunch on Saturday, continental breakfast both mornings, I think... Good raffle for a 55" TV too.


    As far as your concerns about the quality of the dog work, "they" already enter before the dog is ready. Nothing new there. I see it every time I judge, Especially in Master. Gotta get that MH before they're 3 years old.......-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

  7. #7
    Senior Member savage25xtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SW OK
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I'm just wondering how the limits will play out. Just a "what if" scenario.... "what if" a bunch of volunteers don't get in because an extra Pro Truck or two with 20 dogs shows and fills entries? Are the volunteers who'd normally be running dogs going to still show up and work to put on a hunt test?

    It's supposed to make tests easier for a volunteer based club although, I can see it backfiring at some point.
    Send an email out to the club before it goes live on EE.
    Gavin B.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    912

    Default

    I personally do not think it is going to have much of an impact. Most of the clubs that are putting limits on are those who most likely in the past year or so have gone over the magical number by a few dogs and had to split. I am pretty sure that in the end, we are only talking about a few people who are going to be left out, when a club holds a single master and uses limit.

    Of course, now with a double master, when a limit of 60 is used for that, you are really going to lose dogs, but that is because a double master brings everyone out. Our club normally only had 50-60 dogs in the master stakes (last two years, only 40 before MN qualification change), but when we held a double master, we had over 100 dogs in each one.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Hunt tests originated for the weekend warrior or amateur. Maybe some consideration should be made that when a am runs their own dog there is more likely to be more single individuals on the grounds able to volunteer. When a pro shows up with 20 dogs and one or two owners, they've kept 18 potential volunteers from being there to help.

    Maybe it's time to say, "if you're a pro with 10 dogs you need to show up with 2 full time helpers or help pay to hire additional volunteers?" It's not a fun thought although, it's a lot of "thankless" work when there are 4-5 pro's at a test with a total of nearly 80 dogs and no extra help shows up with those 80 dogs.

    Believe me, I'm not saying that the Pro's don't chip in and help because lots of them do help out as much as possibly although, they're working for a client at a hunt test and that client deserves to have their Pro's attention focused on the dog they are paying the pro to run. The Pro shouldn't be splitting time working if he/she is being paid to be at a hunt test.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 02-25-2013 at 08:33 AM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Hunt tests originated for the weekend warrior or amateur. Maybe some consideration should be made that when a am runs their own dog there is more likely to be more single individuals on the grounds able to volunteer. When a pro shows up with 20 dogs and one or two owners, they've kept 18 potential volunteers from being there to help.

    Maybe it's time to say, "if you're a pro with 10 dogs you need to show up with 2 full time helpers or help pay to hire additional volunteers?" It's not a fun thought although, it's a lot of "thankless" work when there are 4-5 pro's at a test with a total of nearly 80 dogs and no extra help shows up with those 80 dogs.

    Believe me, I'm not saying that the Pro's don't chip in and help because lots of them do help out as much as possibly although, they're working for a client at a hunt test and that client deserves to have their Pro's attention focused on the dog they are paying the pro to run. The Pro shouldn't be splitting time working if he/she is being paid to be at a hunt test.
    I think the rule book has enough rules in it, already.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •