The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: limit on master test

So what should be done:
    a) limited entry also limits dogs/handler
    b) clubs that have limited entry loose mileage restrictions
    c) increase penalty for non-medical scratch (before closing date) to 50% of entry fee
    d) all the above
    e) none of the above
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

The logistics of just having 2 handlers running basically all the dogs, from the point of view of airing/getting dogs to the line in a timely manner, is also mind boggling.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Here is a good example of bad things happening from this past weekend.

13 of 60 entries 22% scratched mostly handled by one individual. A HT that we would like to have gone to but it was full early.

Not to indict any one person, just the system.

Another I looked at scratched 20 of 120 entries for 17%. with what are probably pros with multiple entries having the great majority. Our 2nd choice but also full by the time we checked it out.

Sure would like to see NO REFUND for scratch after closing. Help the clubs out with maybe a party for the workers or some such. I am betting though that some have enough pull with vets to get a medical waiver..... for their 9 dogs scratched.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post

I certainly don't want to be involved putting on a test for just 2 Pro's to make their living that weekend................
    X2 not volunteering & showing up to throw entirely for 2 Pros, If the pros are getting paid to run dogs all day, they can pay somebody to throw their birds, even pay the judges to judge. I do not take my time off, join clubs and volunteer, so someone else can make a living. I do it because I love the sport and others have volunteered their time and effort to do the same for me. Sour grapes? You bet, but I get to be greedy with my free time
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-02-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion View Post
    So what should be done:
    a) limited entry also limits dogs/handler
    b) clubs that have limited entry loose mileage restrictions
    c) increase penalty for non-medical scratch (before closing date) to 50% of entry fee
    d) all the above
    e) none of the above
    I think a good option would be for clubs with limited entries to be allowed to have conflicting dates with nearby clubs. This could possibly allow clubs to hold more than one test during a given season. I also think a non medical scratch should not be allowed a refund. I know there are ways around that but it could help. I'm not in favor of limiting dogs per handler.

Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post
    2 pros have 50 of the Master dogs entered..........the limited flight of 60 has been full for weeks and the event is 2 months away. Will 60 dogs be run the day the event starts? Will said Pro's have scratches? What if one of either pro pulls out of the event after it closes? (Which has happened)

So basically this club is reliant on these 2 pro's for their event.....what if something goes askew, then what? Their trucks will have to be parked at the holding blinds..run one dog after another........how does the honor get accomplished?

So, a guess will be that the Senior and Juniors will now be much smaller also and who knows about the O/H Q as it is O/H and if amtr hunt testers cannot enter the Masters they may just not go for only the Qual.

Another guess is ALOT of people wont bother going to just run in a single SR/JR stake if they also have a MH dog to run.

I certainly don't want to be involved putting on a test for just 2 Pro's to make their living that weekend................
    You can't blame the pros for this! it's an unintended consequence of imposing entry limits on HT's. Actually, these pros are VERY capable of running that number of dogs without delaying the hunt test. As a matter of fact, it will go more smoothly that with 60 different handlers. My point is that SOMEONE will not be able to run their dog at this test because of the limits... might be a pro or an AM but someone being left out is a problem. Again, the reason this happened is that this test is the only one within a reasonable driving distance before the MN. If you check, most of them are MN qualifiers and need the event to get ready. There will also be some "new" dogs who need every test they can get to get their MN title and qualify for next year's MN. Again, the problem is the limit....not the pros. I'm sure they would rather enter closer to the event so they can better evaluate their dogs to avoid scratches. Some of the dogs they've entered aren't even back at the kennel yet.

I don't like any of the multiple choices offered. One suggestion I have is to eliminate the limits and close entries earlier so that, if and additional flight is needed, more time is available to set it up properly. Also, a little more leeway in the number of dogs allowed in a flight would help.
    HRCH Cas-Hi Through the Dust MH - "Deacon"
    Boomer's Webb Footed Contessa - "Tessa"

For many clubs, adding an additional flight isn't a matter of time. It's about grounds, help and equipment.

I understand why clubs would want to limit entries. Grounds, workers, etc. Don't have an issue with that. Limits are however causing issues for those who would like to enter their dogs.

Not sure limiting the number of dogs a handler can enter/run would work. People find ways around rules like that. Like a pro listed as the Handler on 10 dogs and his/her assistant or significant other listed as the Handler on another 10 dogs. Not saying all pros would do that, most are pretty stand-up folks, but there are a few bad apples out there and we see them every weekend. You KNOW it would happen.

I do like the idea of clubs adopting a No Refunds policy after the close (except for death, injury or season, of course). Perhaps that would help to encourage folks to scratch (if they must) before the close so others could enter, or as someone suggested, go toward a worker dinner or party.

I also would like to see the 200 mile restriction for other tests lifted when a club decides to limit their entry. They are in effect saying "We are pretty sure that we will have 60 or 120 dogs". As a result, other clubs should be able to offer tests within that 200 mile radius.
    Last edited by Dan Wegner; 07-02-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    FCR "Ransom" - Coastalight Toodoggone Much CD MH ** (2012 MN Qualifier)
    FCR "Legend" - Ryvertowns More Than A Memory CD ***(QAA and 2011 FCRSA Field Trial Trophy Winner)
    LAB "Traitor" - All Out Gone to The Dark Side (QAA and Nat'l Derby List)

The MN program is being poisoned by a few pros. If a Pro has more than 10 dogs in my flight I will not work. I'm not spending my weekend helping some big time pro earn a living. The Am is being pushed out of the MN program and looks like the weekend tests as well. Maybe it's time to debate establishing a Pro vs Am Hunt Test program.
    Ed Wojciechowski

HRCH UH "Duffy" MH, HRC 500 points Lab
    HRCH "Kodi" SH, WCX- Std Poodle
    HRCH " Taz" MH, MNH, RN Lab
    HRCH "Heather" SH Lab
    "Gunner" JH, SH, MH Lab
    SHR "Pearl" JH Std Poodle
    SHR "Chief " JH,WCX,RN Std. Poodle
    "Gina " Standard Poodle JH
    " Dash" JH,SH Lab

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wegner View Post
    I understand why clubs would want to limit entries. Grounds, workers, etc. Don't have an issue with that. Limits are however causing issues for those who would like to enter their dogs.

Not sure limiting the number of dogs a handler can enter/run would work. People find ways around rules like that. Like a pro running 10 dogs and his/her assistant or significant other running the other 10.

I do like the idea of clubs adopting a No Refunds policy after the close (except for death, injury or season, of course). Perhaps that would help to encourage folks to scratch (if they must) before the close so others could enter, or as someone suggested, go toward a worker dinner or party.
    This may be stupid but reading this reminded me of something in horse racing called an also eligible list. When too many horses enter a race there is a drawing and the first, usually 10, are selected. Then 5 more horses are drawn and they are the also eligible. If a horse is scratched a day or more before the race an also eligible gets in.

Of course I would assume a system similar to this for a test the entries and also eligible dogs would be on an entry date basis. Just a thought.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon