The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: limit on master test

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    So, to get your dog entered, you might need to be part of the "in crowd" to get the "privilged communications"?

Ethical?
    I said they "could" do it, but no it's not ethical unless the opening date is public. That's the reason limits were eliminated years ago. Some clubs would let their members enter before accepting any other entries. With the near universal use of EE there is, at least, some transparency. My preference would be a return to the requirement that clubs publish an opening day before which entries are returned to sender - or simply blocked by EE. Gives all an equal shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Spag View Post
    No problem...I accept that as a chance I take. A couple of bad things happen, however. I'm taking up a spot that someone might need and, if I decide to cut my losses, there's a motel room and several meals that go unpurchased and the local economy also takes a hit.
    I agree Spag, I was focused on this:

Quote Originally Posted by Spag View Post
    It's not really fair not to get a refund because I was only doing what the system forced me to do. .
    It's more fair you don't get a refund than it is fair to everyone else for the reasons you mentioned.

Scratches stink in either case outside of medical reasons. I'm guessing people who actually intend to run and committed when doing so rarely get 'blocked out' of a test. Unless, they wait too long so as to earn more interest on their 70 bucks. Seems a lot of pro's are running multiple stakes so a closed Master entry eliminates how many overall dogs on the truck being run?

At least in my experience the last thing a test committee wants to deal with is more last minute change and entry happenings.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

I would like to see

No refunds issued by EE even before the close...once your in, you're in unless approved by HT Sec. This would eliminate a lot of system manipulation.

7 day advance notification required before actual opening. It would take a pro a lot longer to enter 25 dogs than a amateur to enter two or three. As long as we all knew the opening time, it's fair.

My experience has been that an amateur is more likely to try and get refunds for a dog that didn't meet the scratch requirements than the pros. I have dealt with this on numerous occasions where a pro entered a dog for a insurance pass. Then scratched. They did not expect a refund nor asked. Maybe we are just lucky in our area!

Kyle - seen the same and agree.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Bertram View Post
    I would like to see

No refunds issued by EE even before the close...once your in, you're in unless approved by HT Sec. This would eliminate a lot of system manipulation.

7 day advance notification required before actual opening. It would take a pro a lot longer to enter 25 dogs than a amateur to enter two or three. As long as we all knew the opening time, it's fair.

My experience has been that an amateur is more likely to try and get refunds for a dog that didn't meet the scratch requirements than the pros. I have dealt with this on numerous occasions where a pro entered a dog for a insurance pass. Then scratched. They did not expect a refund nor asked. Maybe we are just lucky in our area!
    I'm OK with that, makes EE's job easier but you'll never get a majority of folks or the AKC to agree.........
    David Didier, GA

This (x) day notification is unnecessary. this is an entry, not a race !!! And this secret squirrel advanced notice to a select few BS is so outlandish, I cannot believe that it has even been mentioned in a serious dialogue

Simply open the entries on a given day and modify the EE entry acceptance program to allow for all handlers who wish to run a (read one) dog to do so , before any handler is allowed to run a second dog. If the limit has not been met in this manner,any handlers second dogs entry would be accepted , on a first come basis per the EE computer.

So there you have it , No one runs two till all who wish to, run one, and if there is room, three till all who wish to run two, or four till all who wish to run three .....or the limit is met.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

At an upcoming HT that I am judging, one pro is running 15 dogs and another is running 7. That is 22 out of the 60 dog limit. As a judge, my concerns are getting all these dogs thru the honor. I would hate for the club to be running bye dogs to cover these dogs. The cost in flyers and extra time would make the test financially and time wise very unproductive.

Also I don't feel clubs owe handlers a refund for anything other than bitch in season or injury to the dog.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    this (x) day notification is unnecessary. This is an entry, not a race !!! And this secret squirrel advanced notice to a select few bs is so outlandish, i cannot believe that it has even been mentioned in a serious dialogue

simply open the entries on a given day and modify the ee entry acceptance program to allow for all handlers who wish to run a (read one) dog to do so , before any handler is allowed to run a second dog. If the limit has not been met in this manner,any handlers second dogs entry would be accepted , on a first come basis per the ee computer.

So there you have it , no one runs two till all who wish to, run one, and if there is room, three till all who wish to run two, or four till all who wish to run three .....or the limit is met.

John
    i like it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinismybrother View Post
    I like this idea of any offered.

That would require EE to set up the list for "also eligible" dogs and AKC to allow the substitutions. Might make the Hunt Secretary's job a bit harder, but at least the club gets the full number of entries when a large number scratch.
    AKC already has a similar procedure for agility so the precedence has been set within the organization. They call it the wait list. If someone pulls their entry after the closing date a wait listed dog can take that spot in the trial. Of course there are some AKC procedures the secretary has to follow, but it is used all the time for agility trials and it works great. It seems like a similar procedure could be used for limited hunt tests.

I wonder how Dawn would like to be judging the KCRC hunt test coming up the end of August where 2 pros have taken up 48 of the 60 slots. Club members are going to be real excited about donating time and labor for 2 days while the pros rake in anywhere from $1800 to $2400 in handling fees for 24 dogs each. Many club members will not even get to run 1 dog because 2 pros have hogged 80% of the Master slots. This will probably negatively affect entries in the O/H Qualifying as well.