The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to keep a healthy dog

Default How to keep a healthy dog

I know we would do anything for our hunting buddies but I thought I would ask you all what do you do to keep a healthy dog? How often do you take your pup to the vet for a check ups? What are some of the vitamins you feed? What kind of food do you feed? Im just wondering how far we go to keep are pups at their best after all they are our children.

Vet once a year, current with shots. No supplements to Pro Plan dog food. It's important to keep them in shape. Start back into training slowly if you take a few months off over the winter or summer, until the dog is back into condition.

Keep them supervised or kenneled and out of trouble when you can't watch them.

Keep your fingers crossed...
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

My dogs are not my children. I have children. I like the dogs much better .
    Twice a year to the vet regardless of age for full physical, full blood work and urinalysis. Twice a year, minimum, send out full tick disease panel, including heartworm, to MSU. The in-office test (SNAP4DX) misses some of the big TBDs. CERF exam annually.
    I feed Purina Pro Plan, also.
    Previously no supplements, but recently put on Krill because we are getting ready to do another sperm collection/freezing and it's great for semen quality. Also there is evidence that the omega oils are beneficial to dogs who have been seropositive for lyme (mine has). Recent studies show that dogs metabolize krill oil 5X better than fish oil.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gotta Lotta Zoom View Post
    I know we would do anything for our hunting buddies but I thought I would ask you all what do you do to keep a healthy dog? How often do you take your pup to the vet for a check ups? What are some of the vitamins you feed? What kind of food do you feed? Im just wondering how far we go to keep are pups at their best after all they are our children.
    I feed ProPlan Performance. Really great food. Shiny coats and healthy look. I also supplement with my own food rice and beef which they love. Sometimes add vegetables but no processed food. PPP is the best however IMHO. I do feed my older dog Blue Holistic for Seniors with the PPP and he also gets Best in Show Enhanced. We go to the vet twice a year and if any problems crop up we visit as well. Don't like to guess what might be wrong with them and I don't take chances. Exercise every day at least 1 hour weather permitting up here!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quality food, lots of exercise regardless if its hunting season or not and to the vet at least twice a year for checkup and bloodwork. If something crops up then its obviously more than twice a year to the vet.

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    My dogs are not my children. I have children. I like the dogs much better .
    Twice a year to the vet regardless of age for full physical, full blood work and urinalysis. Twice a year, minimum, send out full tick disease panel, including heartworm, to MSU. The in-office test (SNAP4DX) misses some of the big TBDs. CERF exam annually.
    I feed Purina Pro Plan, also.
    Previously no supplements, but recently put on Krill because we are getting ready to do another sperm collection/freezing and it's great for semen quality. Also there is evidence that the omega oils are beneficial to dogs who have been seropositive for lyme (mine has). Recent studies show that dogs metabolize krill oil 5X better than fish oil.
    Could you say the mg given on the krill oil or does it just come in one mg dose.
    Thanks

Many great tips above. I would add a very important one: Keep those dogs LEAN!!!! Adjust feed to workload so the dog is always in good lean condition, even during times where he's getting less exercise.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

The repro. vet told me 1000 mg a day for my boy, he weighs 70 pounds.
    After much research, I got the Neptune Krill Oil, 500 mg softgels from Puritan's Pride (www.puritan.com). He gets one in the morning and one at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry and Freya View Post
    Could you say the mg given on the krill oil or does it just come in one mg dose.
    Thanks

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

When you notice something unusual, don't ignore it. If you're not satisfied with your vet discuss things with them or find another.
    Dog shaking head?
    Dog itching, scratching, chewing on self?
    Dog lame, hobbling, limping?
    Dog off food, water?
    Does dogs breath stink?
    Unusual discharge, from anywhere.
    Unusual stool.
    Dog acting out of character, aggressive.
    Sudden change in training performance.
    Keep track of things, do your research.
    Collect internet Favorites of sites with good veterinary information like Merck Manual http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp
    Some vets have lots of educational info on their websites. Some have technical info. Save them when you find them.
    Save a search like the one below which will list articles from Veterinary News.
    otitis site:dvm360.com
    Just replace word "Otitis" with your word or phrase. Works better than using the search box on dvm360
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie