The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping dead ducks

Default Keeping dead ducks

How do y'all keep ducks for training once you've killed them. Ducks here are $7 a piece and I'd really like to get more than one or two days worth of training out of them. But on the other hand I don't want to freeze them as my boy doesn't do well with frozen rock hard ducks. I could get it out the morning before our afternoon training session and let it thaw a few hours but then id have the old lady after me for smelling up the house

how long can a fresh killed duck last at 65-70 degrees before going rancid or falling apart?

You are going to need to freeze them or they won't last long, even if you refrigerate them...and why would the house smell? Do you not have a garage? Pull them out of the freezer before you go to work, hang them on a duck rack if you can, train with them and back in the freezer they go....repeat next morning. Build a supply up and rotate them. Also if you do water work, make sure you let them air dry before putting in the freezer, the less water on them the better.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I keep them in the freezer I have in the back of the garage and thaw before use. The only smell issue I had was when I warmed one in the oven prior to use. The wife was PISSED after that one!

I just want to find some $7 ducks. They are usually $10-12 here. Be on the look out for a small chest freezer for your basement or garage. This is the road to marital bliss.
    Mark Land

I keep em in women's panty hose socks in the freezer. Helps dry them out a little, and keeps the feathers somewhat situated. Pull em out a few hours before training, and they're good to go. Back in the freezer when you're done. They wont last long at all in 70 degree weather. A lot of organizations use pen raised ducks to run tests, so make sure you do have a few of those to train with.....

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    How do y'all keep ducks for training once you've killed them. Ducks here are $7 a piece and I'd really like to get more than one or two days worth of training out of them. But on the other hand I don't want to freeze them as my boy doesn't do well with frozen rock hard ducks. I could get it out the morning before our afternoon training session and let it thaw a few hours but then id have the old lady after me for smelling up the house

how long can a fresh killed duck last at 65-70 degrees before going rancid or falling apart?
    Dry them, tuck the head under a wing, wrap them in newspaper and freeze them.

Take them out in the Am and get he dog use to a cold or partially frozen bird. It will really extend the shelf life.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

stack them frozen like cord wood. Take them out night before. Hang them on a board after training with a high power fan running on them to dry them out. Re-freeze and repeat. Should get a lot of uses out of a duck.

A bit extra work! But I 'de-bone' mine and wrap them round the bumper. Of course some of mine are trained for test's and trials, and everything else,So they would retrieve a cardboard box if I asked them.

Of course this is quite complicated when you are only 8 weeks ol.
    Last edited by polmaise; 02-25-2013 at 04:22 PM.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

You need to be smart with your ducks and sort out when to use them and when not to. When it's blazing hot, humid and flies are oppressive, think twice about wasting ducks.
    Mid winter when daytime temps are below 50 ducks will last a long while just kept in barn or garage and warm up a bit in AM. As it gets a bit warmer, overnight in fridge may be good enough. When it gets warmer still, dry birds and freeze.
    When it becomes necessary freeze birds the surest way to drastically shorten their useful live is to freeze them wet. So, make some effort to dry them. Some people build fly proof sceened boxes tall enough to hang ducks by neck and blow a fan through it. For quick and dirty drying the fake chamois cloths used for drying your dogs or car work well.
    It you're going to train Wed, Sat & Sun maybe use bumpers on Wed rather than thaw ducks.
    The best thing is to be part of a training group where enough flyers are shot each week to replenish the dead bird supply and with enough extras to build up a stash.
    If your flyer shooters don't blow the birds apart they will last longer too, so no big shot or tight chokes.
    ducks will generally not fall apart unless thrown by the neck or legs. Depending on temps and how dry you keep them they can last a long time. Once flies get to them the maggots can make them nasty in hours. When training keeping skanky ducks away the fresh ones helps.
    As a side note, if your dog only picks up fluffy ducks all the time you may be at a disadvantage at tests where birds are reused all weekend and often get down right ripe and putrid.
    There was a running joke about one trainer. When you buried your old stinky training ducks he would dig them up and use them a few more days. He won a lot. lol
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

A lot of organizations use pen raised ducks to run tests, so make sure you do have a few of those to train with.....
    I think ALL organizations use pen raised ducks for trials and tests.