The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electronic Whistles

Default Electronic Whistles

We served as Line Judges in a Youth Archery Tournament yesterday and noticed that the Range Captain used an electronic whistle to call the kids to their positions and to give virtually every signal. It was impressively loud and got us thinking about other uses, like dog training when its so cold that the pea freezes in your traditional whistle-- or just because its easier on your teeth. We've read reviews and (as usual) some are glowingly positive while others dismiss it as a piece of junk. Does anyone have any experience with the electronic whistle? Any thoughts?
    Blindfaith
    The beginning is often scary, the end is usually sad, but fortunately, it's the middle that counts the most.

How much are they? In a situation like what you described sounds like it will work well. But when I'm in the field I would be concerned with the durability and one more thing I have to remember to charge/ change the batteries on.

I would love to hear more about these! I just flat can't blow a whistle worth a darn. If I have time to sit and think about storing up my breath and letting it out under pressure, i can do half way decent. But when I really need to use it, sounds more like a duck fart. Where would I find one of these and how much?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

We never thought it would be something to completely replace a traditional whistle, but we were intrigued by the possibilities. They aren't very expensive. On Amazon they range form $14.00 to $25.00. It was so easy to use and was loud and clear enough to do an awesome job of coordinating the activities of a gymnasium full of noisy teens and preteens. I agree that it could also be "one more thing" to deal with-- which is why I was hoping that someone may have some actual experience with them before I break down and order "one more thing to deal with."
    Blindfaith
    The beginning is often scary, the end is usually sad, but fortunately, it's the middle that counts the most.

Sometimes I have trouble making myself heard with a traditional whistle, too. I end up feeling like I'm literally blowing my brains out and my dog still doesn't hear me. Fox 40 makes one. I think that the one we saw in use was a Windsor. They're all available on Amazon.
    Blindfaith

Bill has asked me to clarify that it is me (Marcia) who has trouble making herself heard with a whistle. MEN. Honestly.
    Blindfaith

I have to agree with Bill, Marcia. Men all seem well qualified when the effort requires a lot of hot air!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Women, rice and macaroni, they all stick together...
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

John, I have to agree. Women are the highest form of complex carbohydrates.
    Blindfaith

Carol, we're going to go ahead and order one. They are cheap enough that we won't be out a bunch if it is a total piece of crap. I'll let you know what we think. Anything to conserve a little hot air
    Blindfaith