The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Whistles

What about training them to respond to one of these?

air horn.jpg

I guess I have to say if your dog can't hear a air blown Fox40 whistle, and your too out of air to blow one, maybe there are other training issue's with the dog and yourself??
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

I find the Fox 40 does not project it's sound very well, it sounds loud at the line but does not project well into the field at long distances.

Good Lord, I'm reminded of why I don't post on this forum much anymore. It used to be that you could express an opinion without someone getting negative but rarely these days. I told Marcia it would happen.... No one said that their dog couldn't hear or anything like it. A dog really doesn't hear a whistle or a handler has an infirmity...it doesn't mean that anyone, necessarily, has any training issues! I kept it clean, didn't say what I wanted to say and now I'll sign off, probably for another few months. I know it's only one reply but it's one too many when I have the option of opting out. As far as the Fox goes I don't use one, few people use the whistle I use and that's all I'll say on that topic as I'd hate to be called all sorts of things for having an opinion different than the crowd...adios....oh, what the heck...to some, try stating an opinion without denigrating those who disagree. One of the political parties has already cornered the market on that issue...
    Blindfaith
    The beginning is often scary, the end is usually sad, but fortunately, it's the middle that counts the most.

Quote Originally Posted by BAYDOG View Post
    I guess I have to say if your dog can't hear a air blown Fox40 whistle, and your too out of air to blow one, maybe there are other training issue's with the dog and yourself??
    I'm sure they're loud enough for your AWS's working distances. Bill has some nice field trial dogs which stretch out a lot further and need to hear the whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by blindfaith View Post
    Good Lord, I'm reminded of why I don't post on this forum much anymore. It used to be that you could express an opinion without someone getting negative but rarely these days. I told Marcia it would happen.... No one said that their dog couldn't hear or anything like it. A dog really doesn't hear a whistle or a handler has an infirmity...it doesn't mean that anyone, necessarily, has any training issues! I kept it clean, didn't say what I wanted to say and now I'll sign off, probably for another few months. I know it's only one reply but it's one too many when I have the option of opting out. As far as the Fox goes I don't use one, few people use the whistle I use and that's all I'll say on that topic as I'd hate to be called all sorts of things for having an opinion different than the crowd...adios....oh, what the heck...to some, try stating an opinion without denigrating those who disagree. One of the political parties has already cornered the market on that issue...

I thought it was a good thread and looked up the electronic whistle for kicks! Looks interesting!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

My advise...save yourself a little money....you will be disappointed.They must measure the 90 disables a half inch from the end of the thing.....cause its not loud !

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BAYDOG View Post
    Some of us are no longer young, and our lungs are even older - if I have a dog running a blind at 100 yards or so and need more than 2-3 sit whistles, I can get a bit dizzy from lack of oxygen.

I also had a dog who lost more than half his hearing in an accident, which ended his AKC career. If this electronic thingee had been around then and if it were louder than regular whistles, I'd have given it a try for that dog.

There. Two examples that have nothing to do with training issues. Apply the Golden Rule.

When I was recovering from a horrible case of pneumonia 2 years ago, one of the things that I could not do well was blow a whistle loud enough for the dog to hear it at distance--I just did not have the wind. I ended up getting one of the green monsters but, IMO they take just as much, if not more, lung power to blow than the regular whistles. So I can see where an electronic whistle might help someone with compromised lungs. Sounds like from what Jay Dufour said that the Fox 40 isn't loud enough for what you'd need though. Interesting thread....didn't know electronic whistles even existed.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

I will do a video this am on some yard work with mine and see how it goes for those that are interested.